• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Computer help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

:confused:Im new at this building computer stuff, so can everyone critique this for me? Im all open to ideas, and im not building this until summer so iv got lots of time...

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06GHz
Radeon 9800 Pro or 9700 Pro...
Corsair RAM TWINX1024-2700LLPT (Don't need it any faster bc my processor won't utilize the extra speed)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Antec TrueBlue 480 Power Supply
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-SINXP1394 (GA-8SQ800 Ultra2)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 80GB
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Ata 133 60GB
CD-RW Drive HELP HERE (Recommendations)
DVD Drive HELP HERE (Recommendations)
Zalaman Heatsink CNPS7000-Cu
Vantec Nexus Fan Controller
Blower Fan

For CDRW and DVD I'd go for a pair of Lite-On drives. They're about the most reliable there are and amongst the cheapest too. I, myself, have a 40X12X48X and 16X DVD from Lite-On. Both are great.

Everything else looks to be OK. I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte boards, but I'm also not an Intel user so they may be fine on that side of the fence. The Audigy 2 also wouldn't be my first choice in sound as I'm a former Creative user that's switched to Turtle Beach (the Revolution 7.0 is supposed to be nice too).

Those are just my opinions/recommendations. Hope there are more to compare with...never know what may be along in the next couple of months to change your list anyway :]

I have a turtle beach on my comp right now. if i really don't like the audigy (i think it will be fine) i can always switch.

stan03, are you really stuck on intel? or is your list very preliminary? i won't bother trying to help if you really want intel as i don't know much about them. but if you are open to any and all suggestions i have a few. :)

sooo sorry, but yes i am kind of stuck on intel, because they are the only company that i know a little about. AMD, i know nothing:( . so sorry AMD guys, please stick with intel on this post.

May I suggest that you reconsider you choice of ram. The newer mother boards are moving to a FSB of 200MHz. You may be able to move ram that's PC3200 to a new board if you upgrade at a later point.The TWINX is a good choice no mater what.

My recommendation is hold off on buying a new computer until about a week before Doom III comes out, and then buy the absolute best you can get for your money.

getting faster RAM would not help. The Ram is dual channeled and already sends more than the CPU is supposed to be able to handle. My mobo does support faster ram if i decide to upgrade later.

Wait for the new 800Mhz DDR400 pentium systems and Serial ATA. You may even want to wait and look at PCI express, but it may take awhile to catch on. Faster RAM always helps P4s.

Whenever I look into building a new system, I always make the same mistake. I make a plan to build a certain system, and then gradually buy parts for it until it is done. This is very bad, as by the time I'm done, my system isn't as special as when I first made the plan, and I've overpaid for half of it. It seems that something new and better comes out every couple of weeks, shoving prices of older gear down. If I were you, I would figure out exactly when you will be buying all of the parts, buy the best available at the time(for the money you have), and buy it all at once. Just don't beat yourself up when the prices of the things you just bought drop, and newer stuff comes out. No one will ever have a fully state of the art PC, at least not for very long. This doesn't mean you should keep waiting either. I'm sure you'll love whatever you build.

I will suggest a bit more umph on your PS choice for the same or a little more in cost. The +12volt on new boxes and future ones need more amps than what a lot deliver until you get into the 500+ watt size. Today 25+ amps is a good range. Good luck.:clap:

stan03 said:
So i should get a 500 watt PS?

I don't think so, a 480w antec is probably more than you need as it is.... but i suppose if you have the money its good for peace of mind, as well as upgradability. chips keep using more and more power.

[edit]ps, if you DONT have the money.... and you are looking to cut costs... a 400w sparkle/fortron PSU will work fine.

visch1 said:
I will suggest a bit more umph on your PS choice for the same or a little more in cost. The +12volt on new boxes and future ones need more amps than what a lot deliver until you get into the 500+ watt size. Today 25+ amps is a good range. Good luck.:clap:

So what power supply is he recommending? Is he trying to say the 480 is not good enough?

stan03 said:

So what power supply is he recommending? Is he trying to say the 480 is not good enough?

Yes I think so, it seems he is just recommending you get a PSU that does 500w or more, but that is not neccesary in my opinion or experience.

I said it's a good unit, that if were me, I'd get one with more amps in the +12volt side mainly for a future box and more toys in this one. You may not be paying any more or jost a token amount. Mine cost the same as the 425 I think, and it's all I should need for years.

stan03 said:
what is your opinion?

are you asking me?

if so, i think the 480 is fine if you like the features that it has or whatever. you don't need anymore wattage.

Back