• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Well, i finally got my rig up (one and a half years later, after waiting for 4 months for case to arrive also :rolleyes:), but the graphics wasn't working, so i've had to sen the card (9700pro) back for RMA.

Whilst waiting, i found an old 2 or 4 meg, i think, PCI card to use just for installing windows and setting up ready to use.

So i'm setting it up, go to try and install NAV2003...system hang. No response. So i hard boot, check temps (fine), turn off and check card&cable seatings (fine).

So i think, OK, i'll copy some files over from some CD-R's to my HDD. So i install partitionmagic....no problem. Make partition, scan disks...fine.

Start copying some files over....system hang. several times. Temps are fine, seatings are fine...
So, i dunno what it could be. I'm working on it in the lounge so i'll have another look tomorrow, but i formatted b4 going 2 room now. (running XP pro).

The only things i can think of is to take out the cable which connects the sound card to DVD-ROM or maybe it's a software conflict.... I'm wondering if it's the DVD-ROM... any ideas?

ArBiTaL24.

does it hang randomly, whilst your using these programs, or during the install?

drivers? windows xp updates? have you got all these updated to current releases?

is your memory ok? try taking out memory to leave one stick, moving it about slots, trying other (known working memory)

few things to look at but I would literally test everything, alot of things can cause a computer to hang

Cool thanks i'll test them.

1) It always seems to be when the DVD-ROM is doing something, like copying files or installing programs, which lead me to believe it's the dvd-rom

2) I didn't have the time to set up internet access before i formatted (it takes AGES to get my cable con recognised) so i didn't have updates, only the ones on disks for my mobo and sound...

3) Dunno, i'll go check :)

Are there any XP driivers for that card? If not, you should use 2000 or (gasp) NT drivers.

[Further up in your first post,

Did you plan on wriitng :rolleyes: ) or :rolleyes:) ]?

I would doubt so... I was wondering if it was the card... XP recognised it as a certain card though, not the "standard VGA adaptor". I noticed it had picked it up, so i left it. I prob.won't bother getting older drivers, cos my RMA should be bakc in a few days :)

Ummm.. what's that about wiring? i don't follow you...
I originally wired it all up, but then i gave it to a computer shop to give a final check over (lil paranoid me) and they re-wired it anyways...:rolleyes:

Back