• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the multiplier how does it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You mean a processor's multiplier? Maybe I can shed some light.

Your computer's CPU runs at a set, specific speed. That speed is determined by two values- the Frontside Bus (FSB) of the motherboard's chipset, a speed given in megahertz, and the Mulltiplier hardwired into the CPU, which is just a setting and not a speed per se. To find the final speed of the CPU, just multiply the FSB by the Multiplier and there you go. The multiplier can sometimes be adjusted, sometimes not. In most cases, it's a permanent value. The FSB can be adjusted in most cases, however.

Example- a 1,000 mhz CPU has a multiplier of 10; in a 100mhz FSB system it will work just fine. (10x100=1,000). But, if you stick that same CPU in a 133mhz FSB system, it will be overclocked- 10x133=1,333. And that is how we do what we do :D

That's the simple overview right there, if there's anything else you are curious about just let me know and I'll try to help out. Read the beginner's guides on the front page and all of the sticky threads in the various sub-forums and you'll know pretty much all you need to to have fun and be dangerous :D

Back