• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good rig or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

egbert314

Registered
Hey, I'm trying to build a computer mainly for folding and some gaming on LAN. Here are the components:

Case: Lite-On Mid Tower ATX Case Model FS-020 ($82)
DVD-ROM: LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive ($34)
Fans: 4x Panaflo 120 mm U1A ($11 each), 1x Panaflo 92 mm H1A ($11)
Floppy drive: generic ($7)
Hard drive: Seagate 80GB 7200rpm SERIAL ATA Hard Drive Barracuda V ($155)
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 256 MB ($67 each)
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S ($125, not sure if it's v. 2)
Mouse: Logitech MX300 Optical Mouse ($25)
Power supply: Fortron - P300XFPN 300W Power Supply ($32)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred ($50)
Video Card: ATI OEM RADEON 9500 128MB DDR ($155)
Heatsink: Thermalright SLK-900-U ($47)
All prices above have been taken from Newegg

Damping material: AcoustiPack™ Deluxe ($90)
Available from www.quietpcusa.com

Total: $991

Are there any suggestions for improvement or what speakers to use (2 speaker config is preferable)? My goal is to get a budget system that folds and plays some games. A priority is that it has to be quiet enough to for somebody to be able to sleep about 5 feet away from it. Also, the room is not very well ventilated, the air has to come from 2 rooms away. Thanks for you help!

Looks like a good sub 1000.00 dollar system. I'd just look at a better power supply.

Weeeeeeeeeeeel......

The powersupply should be larger, get at least a 350 watt Forton.

I would say screw the Sound dampning stuff, u r using 120mm fans. If those are to loud for you. 7v mod them.

Also, I heard those SATA drives from Seagat earent worth it. Basically, get the WD SATA Raptor, which is like the same price but half the storage. It got real good reviews :)

The Barracuda and the Raptor are almost the same price, but how much louder is 42.5 dB/A (Raptor) compared to 37.8 dB/A (Barracuda)? This is at 18 mm away from the drive, by the way. Would I even notice the difference 5 feet away from the case?

I would switch that hard drive for a WD 80 or 120 gb with 8mb cache. Either way would cost less, and they perform great. The 80gb is actually sub $100. Also agree ditch the accoustic crap, get some bigger fans or a rheobus, or both. Thats the best way to control sound. Trust me I've tried many options.

not bad buy i agree in getting rid of the sound stuff.. getting rheobus's is the best idea cuz then you can turn them down when you are gonna go to sleep and also the 120mm fans shouldn't be too loud anyway... good luck

Alright, I'll dump the damping material. What rheobus do you recommend? Also, should I undervolt the processor or overclock it? Thanks for all the help so far!

I vote windows explorer mouse (i think 2.0, with the big, smoothe buttons on the side)

I've had a bad experience with seagate

I've had 1 WD drive for 5 years with no issues, so thats what I buy.

get an antec ps

I'll replace the Seagate drive with a WD Raptor. Can anyone help me answer these questions:

What rheobus do you recommend? Also, should I undervolt the processor or overclock it?

egbert314 said:
I'll replace the Seagate drive with a WD Raptor. Can anyone help me answer these questions:

What rheobus do you recommend? Also, should I undervolt the processor or overclock it?

I made my own rheobus, I hear mixed reviews about that vantec nexus. I would just make sure whatever rheo you buy can handle the fan load you are putting on it.

Goodluck overclocking that 1700 tbred...it overclocks well! great sub 1000$ well overclockable sig!

TheFrag said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeel......

The powersupply should be larger, get at least a 350 watt Forton.

I would say screw the Sound dampning stuff, u r using 120mm fans. If those are to loud for you. 7v mod them.

Also, I heard those SATA drives from Seagat earent worth it. Basically, get the WD SATA Raptor, which is like the same price but half the storage. It got real good reviews :)
i couldnt have said this better.

id even go a tad farther if $$$ allows and get the 400wt fortron
and get a 9600 pro monarch has them for $199 i know as i just got a email from em.

the raptor will blow the doors off the seagate and i highley doubt youll hear them with a side panel on and fans going.

everything else looks great. and newegg has the nf7-s rev2 btw

How much better is the 9600 pro than a 9500? If there isn't much difference in performance, I would prefer to save the difference in cash. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Back