• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to build system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

ok im trying to find all the parts i want for my future system

AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR (if im goign amd im going to get a proccessor at least somewhere around this one )

ok well right now im looking for a mobo
i would preferably want one with locked (i guess thats the word) pci/agp slots so i can keep those a diff. frequency than the FSB

not sure what graphics card i want... prolly just use my ti4200 of my current system and wait for a new better one to drop in price

sound card.. have no clue

doesnt matter what 10/100 ethernet card i get, or cd-rom, or floppy

cooling, im open to suggestions

ram is dependent on what mobo (but i know i only want ddr)

i probably forgot something, so oh well well if you guys can help me with this that would be great!

thanks alot

what would you be using the rig for?
how often would you use it?
what is your cash budget?
how 'good' of a machine are you looking for?

I think with some of the above answered it would be easier to help u out mate.

Good luck

(nice to see that u like DoD btw:D )

For examples sake, I threw this together @ newegg.com

AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM
$153

Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RGA
$120

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 256MB 32MX64 PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreaders.
$80 x 2 (512MB) = $160

Linkskey LKF-5100+ 10/100 (Realtek Chipset 8139D) PCI Ethernet Card - RETAIL BOX
$11

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - OEM BULK
$78

Thermalright SLK-800(A) ( Heatsink ONLY ). All Copper heat spread. New Version.
$38

I didn't pick a HSF as that's up to you, but I threw together a system based on what you listed. the total came to $560 USD without shipping

Im goin with Neco on the cooling, unless you want to go for water cooling then I would say the SLK-800 would be a good idea. Mine works well for me.

Neco how do I know if I have the old model or the new model.
What should I look out for.

I honestly wouldn't know how to tell... I've never owned top of the line air cooling.

I used to use a dinky stock cooler, and then I went with a so/so water setup for 2 years.. right now I'm on a cheapo quiet HSF combo, as I just can't justify myself paying for high-end air cooling because of the noise vs results I will want.

I'm holding out for AMD to change sockets and then I will upgrade once waterblocks come onto the market (if necesarry) and go water again

Get an A7N8X Deluxe and be done with it. Everything you need built in and very good. Throw some DDR in and go... I would even go with a good stepping 1700+ or 2100+ to save a few bucks and overclock that since it seems like that is what you want. Just find some good cooling like the SLK-800, AX-7, etc.

ZedBias said:

Neco how do I know if I have the old model or the new model.
What should I look out for.

The SLK-800(A) uses the standard AMD "clip" mounting system. The SLK-800(U) uses the newer "post" mounting system. In order to use it your Motherboard must have 4 holes around the processor socket. My 8RDA+ can accept this HS. Not sure about the 8RGA+.

Also, no need to get a sound card with the A7N8X deluxe, 8RGA+, or the 8RDA+. They all come with pretty good sound built in.

You can get the Athlon XP 2500+ for about $30 cheaper. It's the slowest Barton with the 333 FSB. I would expect that it would overclock just as high as the 2600 will.

I highly recommend the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. It's arguably the most feature rich AMD motherboard on the market today. Comes with good onboard sound, and dual onboard networking...so you wouldnt have to buy a sound card or NIC. It's kinda expensive, but you dont have to buy a sound card or NIC, which justifies the expense, IMO.

RAM - Corsair XMS is good stuff. You'll want two sticks to take advantage of the Dual Channel RAM on the new nforce2 boards. Get 2x256 of the fastest you can afford.

Video - That geforce card should be adequete for most of your gaming needs. Based on what's out there right now, when you shop for one, you DEFINATELY need to look at the new ATI cards.

cooling - I think I would buy the new SLK 900U. It accepts up to a 92mm fan. Very cool, very quiet.

Sav1er said:
what would you be using the rig for?
how often would you use it?
what is your cash budget?
how 'good' of a machine are you looking for?

I think with some of the above answered it would be easier to help u out mate.

Good luck

(nice to see that u like DoD btw:D )

heh

well ok i would use it everyday (almost)

my budget max $1500-2000 thats the absolute max

im looking for a machine to get me through the next 3-4 years of gaming, with upgrades

I also have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and love it...Just make sure you get the newer C-1 chipped nForce 2 motherboards...I really like the Solteks boards...rock solid stability, great overclockers, easy setup with no "issues" to deal with like my Asus boarded box...And yes you should go with two memory modules so you can run your box "insync"...The 2100's are nice, but with the 2500 Bartons prices dropping, it might be a better choice...333fsb and the extra cache seem to be a more "future proof" choice...nForce 2 and two dimms...;)

looking around for mobos

but i dont see the nforce2 c-1 chipset

all i see is diff variatons like nforce2, nforce2 spp mcp2 and stuff

so oh yea also, what is the plus of a nforce2 above lets say any other chipset currently out there

Look around some more...do searches in this forum...It is all right there in front of you...nForce 2 is the only way to fly right now...VIA 400A???...when???...The decision is yours...believe me I do not know nothin about nothin compared to most people in this forum...But one thing is for sure...nForce2 is the only way to fly right now in a AMD platform...C1 what is that???

what is the plus of a nforce2 above lets say any other chipset currently out there
AGP and PCI buses are locked. Makes overclocking the FSB easier.

Excellent onboard sound built into the chipset.

Dual channel DDR. Can be run sync or async.

nforce2 is the only way to go if you're going with an AMD proc right now, IMO.

ok i still have a question, whats the c-1 stepping

and also what mobos have it?

I would go with a slightly slower processor, like the 2100 or something. Then get at least 512 MB of RAM. You probably want to get a Radeon, maybe the 9700 Pro. If you want air cooling go with something like Thermal take. If you want watercooling try swiftech or something like that.

If you have that kind of budget then this is the rigg for you:

Chaintech Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# 7NJS-ZENITH-$158

AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM-$153

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB)-$299

Gainward Ultra/750-8X XP, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4800 SE, 8X AGP, Golden Sample retail package , Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4800 SE, 3.3ns 128mb DDR AGP 8X-$188

220Wpelt-$50

ENERMAX EG651P-VE FM(24P). 550W-$158

Vapochill platinum case-$609

total cost before shipping=$1565

re: woods's recommendations

That Chaintech motherboard looks great. I considered it before I decided on my Asus A7N8X. The main deciding factor for me was that I read that the Chaintech has inferior onboard sound. Sorry, I can't remember why it was inferior or where I read that...

I've heard really good things about the Gainward "Golden Sample" geforce cards. Personally, I'd go with an ATI card...to avoid those huge noisy coolers on the nvidia cards, if nothing else.

I would think a pelt would be completely unnecessary (and maybe even cause temps to be worse) with a Vapochill case.

And a Vapochill case is definately overkill for all but the most hardcore (although I'd REALLY love to have one!!!!!).

fiji: since no one else has said anything, I'll give my two cents (although it isnt much). I have no idea what "c1" has to do with an nforce2 motherboard. I seem to recall "c1" being a stepping for Intel processors, but I could be wrong.

Back