• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally decided - Something i should know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sav1er

hey, im new here but it looks like a great place and i look forward to learning from u guys:)

Well i realise its a bit general, and im sorry for that, but i need a little bit of help with the selection of components for my new rig.
After months of decisions i have decided to go with the following configuration and i would please like to know if anyone has had any experiences with any of the following parts so that they could either recommend them to me, or advise against them.

I have always been an AMD man, but I now would like to try an Intel processor for comparison.

Also, please help me choose between the two HDDs listed (i cant have both)
And if i have a DVD burner, and a CD burner, can I use one as a regular DVD+CD reader? Or is it better to buy one of those?
Heres my list:

PSU: Enermax EG651P-VE 550 watt power supply
CPU: Intel P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache + HT
MoBo: Intel D875PBZ - Intel 875P Pentium4 motherboard
RAM: 1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
Storage Controller: (do i need one?)
HDD: 120GB Seagate Barracuda ATA V 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Alternative HDD: 120GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache
Optical Drive (CD-Burner): PlexWriter 48/24/48A CD-RW
Optical Drive2 (DVD-Burner): Sony DRU-500A DVD +/-RW +/-R
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB AGP 8x
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum 6.1 w/ Black Audigy 2 Drive
Monitor: NEC 17" MultiSync LCD1760NX
Speakers: Creative 6.1

Thanks very much for your oppinions, they are greatly appreciated:p

Well, if you plan on trying your hand at overclocking then don't buy an intel mobo i would suggest the new Abit IC7-G Advance 2 coming out anyday or maybe out but havent found it yet on newegg.com. The WD 120 w/ 8mb cache is a good one. The speakers that I would choose would be the Logitech z-680's. Other than that everything looks good not sure on monitors but someone may elaborate on those I know Viewsonic are an excellent choice among this forum. The Sony dvd burner will burn cd's aswell. If money is tight , which it doesnt look like it is , Get a dvdrom aswell so u can burn dvd's easier, I have one of each device in mine but thats just me.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you asking and answering questions for a long time. :D;)

Welcome to the forums
Unless you intend a RAID or SCSI setup, you really won't need an additional storage controller. Also, I'd tend to agree about Intel boards...just not enough options. Take a look in the Intel motherboards section, and you'll pick up some good choices for selection.

I think it looks like a good setup, I am an AMD guy personally, but if you think intel is the best way to go for you, then I think everything else looks good. I ditto the 19 inch monitor post though.

thanks for the welcomes!:D

Yea i have always been an AMD man, but i havent really had any Intel experience to found my dislike for them on..so i wanna give a P4 a go, see what they're like.

I didnt realise the 17" monitor was so small (living in Europe all my life) so i have upgraded that one to a 20"

Now i just need to maybe change my mobo..any suggestions?

Thanks for all the helpful comments, i have saved for this computer for aaaages, wanna get it perfect

hey man that monitory you speak of... i got it!!! Let me tell you look another way. The monitor for the first month or so will randomly flicker... i mean just randomly flicker it doesn't happen to often like once or twice a week... and its only for the first month.... (afterwards somehow it doesn't do it anymore??? wierd) Secondly it doesn't like to run above the reccomened resolution what is it 1024 * 768 .... if i so much as to put a game at a higher resolution that that... the monitor will give me a signal error saying to increase the hz only thing is... the hz the games require to run at resolutions like 1280 * 720 is like 88 and there is NO WAY to get the monitor that high! All in All i am greatly dissatisfied... biggest waste of 170 dollars i ever spent.... i reccomend you to a sony monitor.... my other 17 in monitor before then was a sony... it had no problems and lasted me 8 years! (R.I.P i'll never forget you old friend! I PLAYED MY FIRST COMPUTER GAME ON THAT MONITOR! *cries)

also if you are going intel... don't get an intel motherboard. There are very very little options in teh bios that you can mess around with (which, if you don't really know what they mean/ what your doing, could be a good thing...) Go search into the intel section, as i'm a half inteler half amder.... but haven't really kept up with the new intel motherboards and such.... Also make sure the Ram you get is DDR 400.... pc3200 and from a respectable company... corsair, crucial, maybe sometimes kingston.... definately kingston hyperx types!

all in all welcome to the forums and good luck!

o crap.
Thank u so much Darryl. That would have been one expensive mistake...not so nice. I appreciate that:D And since its gonna be mainly a gaming rig i would definately have had problems. whew

And yeah i've been advised to avoid intel mobos like the plague, also, since i fancy trying my hand at OCing it probably wouldnt be for me.
THanks again.:D

Back