• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plz read, frustrating O/C prob. Possible limitation by driver or OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcan5d

Registered
I hope someone can help me out, I did a lot of work but the fix needs someone a little more experienced.

First here are my system specs:
Mobo: ECS K7S5A ver3.1
CPU: AMD 1700+ T-bredA
Ram: Infineon 512mb PC2700 DDR
HDD: IBM 30GB 7200RPM
Vid: Radeon 8500LE
PSU: 430W

My goal is to reach a fsb/ram speed of 166/166. I changed the stock chipset cooler, increased Vcore, Vmem, Vagp and the Vchipset but results are pretty much the same. I HAVE to increase the voltage to all of these, but there is a point where increasing voltages does not change the result.

After A LOT of trial and error tests, I have determined that my PC "CAN" run at 166/166 stable, but the "actual" problem is with switching to it. Yeah you heard me, just the switching to it part :). It has it's good and bad days. I tried speedfan and cpucool to increase to 166/166, and what happens is that most of the time it crashes instanly or the moment I press on something. The same occurrs when I want to switch back to 133/133, which should not happen. When I actually am successful at switching to 166/166, the PC is perfectly stable and can run benchmarks constanly. Longest I tried was 8 hours, through the night.

The strangest part of all this is that it differs by day. Yesterday for instance most of the day I could go 166/166 almost everytime I tried (sometimes it crashed going back to 133). Today I turn on my PC, to find out that the WHOLE day (until 2 hours ago) I couldn't switch to 166/166 again :(. There was no change in settings or voltages.

Today I tried changing speed in safe mode just because I was running out of ideas. IT WORKED. Not only was the switch to 166 successfull, I can go back to 133, then 166, 133, 166 etc.....one after another without an crashes. PC runs fine too, but of course I can't run any benchmarks in safe mode.

Safe mode does not have any drivers, could this mean that some driver is messing up for me when changing to 166/166 in windows? I tried XP and 98SE and the problem is the same, although I think it's a little easier with 98SE.

If someone is currious here are my current voltages (tested with multimeter).
Vcore: 1.66V
Vmem: 2.69V
Vagp: 1.61V
Vchip: 1.95V

Max I tested (no change in results)
Vcore: 1.83V
Vmem: 2.79V
Vagp: 1.67
Vchip: 2.02V

Last edited:
Back