• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drive formatting problems -- help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunyip

The problem started when I had compatibility issues between video capture sources trying to run at the same time. I was using an All-in-Wonder when Netmeeting tried to open up. The TV feed died and I restarted my computer. When it came back up, I no longer had access to one of the partitions of my hard drive. The drive was previously formatted as an NTFS drive. The other partition is a FAT32 and contains my OS. I tried using XP's system restore utility, and it fixed allowed the video card to work again. I made the same mistake earlier in the week, but it only affected the video card. The only way I could get the Radeon drivers to work properly was to use the system restore function; however this didn't fix my drive problems the second time around.
The drive shows up in My Computer, but when I open it, it tells me that it isn't formatted. It also shows up in disk management, and is listed as "healthy;" however it no longer shows up as being formatted as an NTFS drive, and it is 100% free.
Any ideas about how to resurrect my drive? or possibly what went wrong? Thanks for any help

Try formatting both drives as NTFS. WinNT, 2000, and XP don't like having different file structures on the same computer. They also don't like having your boot partition being larger than 7.3 gigs if you've got multiple partitions.
After having similar problems with Win2000 I repartitioned my drive so the boot partition is 5gigs which should be plenty for the OS and any extraneous stuff like Documents and such :)

I posted my original question from a friend's account...so I'm the guy with the computer problem. Sorry if that causes any confusion...

Anyway, I'd rather not re-format anything! I have nearly 80GB of information on that partition and would really prefer not to lose all of it. Is there any way to save that stuff? Also, why would it all of a sudden decide to crater on me?
~Ben

Not quite sure, but I know it kept on happening to me until I resized my partitions and converted everything to NTFS.
How big is your harddrive? Any possibilty you can move that info to the other partition so you can resize without losing your info?

Back