• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Newly Mounted Thin Fin Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

My Newly Mounted Thin Fin Block (MK4)

All I can say is this is a spectacular water block, not to mention the best looking water block currently on the market. I had been a big fan of the D-Tek TC-4 block and after modifying the TC-4 to add a three barb top and making a few other changes I was more of a fan.

A few months ago I approached Morphling1 about doing a trade out for one of my custom shroud/cores for on of his water blocks. Morphling1 jumped at the opportunity and quickly made me one of his fabulous custom water blocks and I built and shipped my custom core to Slovenia. After paying the shipping cost I began to think I got the short end of the stick.

Not in any hurry to bolt this beautiful water block in my modded case, the block sat on my computer desk for some six weeks. I had been waiting for the arrival of a chipset cooler from Morphling1 that he was sending my way after he received the custom core from me. The waiting became to long as it looks like the chipset cooler has become lost in the mail.

Having kept records of my operating temps from ambient, return water and CPU over a course of many months and knowing my temps in my system remain steady, I made the move.

Let me make it very clear, the block is the ONLY item in my system that is being changed, everything else remains the same. With AS-lll in hand I placed a small thin layer on the chip and proceeded to mount the block using the same bolts, washers, springs, and nuts from the TC-4. I wrenched all four corners evenly, compressing the springs so all four bottom out and applying more pressure than AMD recommends.

Next it’s time to bring the system online. With much anticipation I booted the computer and the system booted into Windows. The system has now been running for 1 week and I can report that this block is reporting 3C’s below my modded TC-4 block while FOLDING. I have remounted the block three times. My early observation of Morphling1 block is this block will prove to be a winner as it is built on the thin fin technology while forcing water through a small slot opening.

Morphling1 block offers the user another choice with outstanding performance while maintaining what has to be one of the best looking blocks.

Morph3.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, though. I PM'd him like a week ago about the possibility of getting one of those, but never got an answer. I like that block quite a lot.

You are one lucky dog. I contacted Morphling a couple months ago about trying to purchase his older 8500WB, but it was already sold. Morphling is producing some of the best stuff out there. Right up there with Bladerunner and Cathar.

your planning on running a chipset block in parallel with that? if so that isnt a very smart idea, all the backpressure will go to the chipset block and kill pressure in the cpu block.unless the chipset block is insanely restrictive.

Jon

DodgeViper has many options though. Don't forget that his Heatercore has 3 barbs on it, so he could have a seperate hose to the cpu, and one to the NB, then use a Y connector to connecting them back together.

JFettig said:
your planning on running a chipset block in parallel with that? if so that isnt a very smart idea, all the backpressure will go to the chipset block and kill pressure in the cpu block.unless the chipset block is insanely restrictive.

Jon

or you could make a NB block with similar flow restriction and it would be even on both:D

JFettig said:

Jon

Considering that were not working with great pressure from the 1250 pump and that it's a closed loop system, water is only going to move so fast. Not a problem.

Water_Flow.JPG

Moving water in series from CPU to NB does not seem to be the answer either. Nothing is set in stone and for that matter I do not have a NB cooler.

Your diagram is exactly what I was talking about. I was doing it myself when I copied your heatercore. However, I've gone back to my old heatercore for now because I'm no longer using the water cooled 8500LE....it was replaced with a 9700Pro.

Back