• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock speed or FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sav1er

Ok, new rig on the way, list of parts here.

I have decided that, as a change i would like to give Intel a try. I have 2 processors in mind...the
Intel P4 3.06GHz at 533FSB and the
Intel P4 3.0GHz at 800FSB

Any opinions on which is better and more capable would be great.

Cheers

If you're gonna get a 3.0 I'd go with the 800 fsb. with a dual channel mb. that way you already have a built in hi-bandwidth memory. secondly the dual channel mb'ds are oc'ing to about 240-250. that would effectively give u a 600-750 overclock which is about the best u can expect fromaconventionally cooled 3.0. If u go with the 533 fsb cpu youre gonna max out the cpu way b4 u can achieve maximum memory efficiency.

the real diff is if you get the 800fsb cpu you will have mad sandra mem bandwidth scores,if you go with the 533 you will be able to overclock higher getting way higher mhz but really after 2.7ghz i dont think you feel your system as being real faster,above 3ghz is super fast,you dont really need faster

There was an article a while back in the main page about memory bandwidth vs clockspeed. According to the article you will get a better performance out of an increase in clockspeed vs an increase in memory bandwidth (which is what a higher FSB would give you). If you are not going to OC then get the 800MHz FSB chips. If you are then get the 533MHz chip.

BTW, I noticed you are planning on getting an Intel made board. If you are going to OC, I would suggest against that as Intel offers very, if any, limited OCing options. I would get the Abit IC7 if you are going to OC.

Back