• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Be warned: Gigabyte 1394 Dual channel board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rawlinson

Registered
I have this board, and all is generally great with it. However, there is a problem if you are going to use a heatsink on the processor that 'fans-out' further than the standard Intel Heatsink blocks.

The Mobo comes with a 'daughter board' which enables a '6-phase' power supply, supposedly better and safer for a P4 system. But this daughter board sits vertically right next to the CPU are on the board. I bought a Zantek 'flower' CPU heatsink cooler, which fans out considerably*

So air-heatsink users beware. You may find yourself having to clip-back your heatsink or perform some minor engineering on it to make it comply with this daughterboard design!!
-----------------

* it fans in the 'north south' axis, directly towards/away from the I/O ports at the rear/north of the board.

EDIT: Nothing else about this board is bad. I am very happy with it in every other respect. Dual channel works fine, and really with that my overclocking possibilities become quite limited (memory I think restricts things for me here..). So perhaps intel stock cooler will work OK.

Back