• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Htpc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

So.. I've now been looking around for some HTPC parts.. and this is what I've found so far..

Antec Fusion MediaCenter (PianoBlack)

FUSION_front.jpg

Specs here: http://www.antec-inc.com/support_productInfo_details.php?ProdID=08739#

The case takes full ATX motherboards, and a 380W Antec TruePower is included.. sweet.. :)
This meant that the choices of motherboards were not really limited..

However, I narrowed it down to, MSI K7N2G-L. A nForce2 board with onboard sound, graphics, tv-out and lan.
I decided that I'll pair this with a Tbred B 1700+ (thought about duron but then again it's only 15-20$ difference) and 256 mb PC2700 memory (the memory sitting in my current rig, will purchase some 3200 Twinmos for that one).

Since it'll be a HTPC I need a DVD player. Decided on LG GDR-8161B, mostly because you can buy black front panels for them. I also have a DVD decoder card already, Realmagic Hollywood+ which will go in there.

Thought that I'd throw in a SLK-900u there, and a 92x92 fan (from Zalman.. 20 dB at low-rpm).

Also, some wireless stuff.. :) a keytronic cordless keyboard+mouse..

Now, what is left to choose is should I get a floppy and whether I should shell out for a hd also.. I have a 15gb sitting in my current puter that I *could* move.. but then again I would like to see a 80 gb there.. it might, or might not, happen.. If I decide to buy one it'll probably be a Seagate Barracuda IV or V.

This computer will then be used as a HTPC (playing music, movies etc.) and a server. I will probably install Apache and run it as a webserver/gateway.. as I also need a computer to share the internet connection here at home.. :) Also, since it does have a gf4 mx integrated.. I might play some games on it..

Now.. I only need to find a nice 1700+.. because if that o/c good I'll put that in my main rig and then my Tbred A 1800+ will go in the server..

Anyways.. what do you think.. would you make any changes to it?

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of getting the Zalman fan and the slk-900, I was thinking of a similaer thing for my 2400+, but that costs more money then I'm wlling to spend, especially since I expect to be getting a new system (possibly Intel) but summer's end.

I especially like that case.. since it's desktop, but still takes full-atx.. and it's an antec.. :)

only downside is that it's a bit pricy.. but since I got a job yesterday.. won't start before June though, I know I have some cash to spend :D

Will probably set me back 600-700 dollars total.. depending on if I get that extra hd or not.

I'm thinking mini on a future build, dunno if I can afford it to be my NEXT build though (have to buy camping/hiking gear by June myself). I love the idea of having a small PC/cube, then just add external USB2 devices as needed. Intel is the winner in the mini atx department, so that's another reason I'm thinking of going back to the dark side ;).

noo! :) AMD actually have some nice stuff also, if you would consider going micro-atx.. for instance Chaintech has a nForce2 based micro-atx board that is supposed to be pretty good..

also I looked at the VIA EPIA boards for a while but decided to ditch them.. although the VIA boards are of course neither AMD nor Intel.

Well, yes they have some solutions, but for a smallish setup with a fast video card and 7200-10000 rpm drive, and dvd burner, I want the cpu to run as cool as it can and also tolerate the hot environment it's going to be asked to work in... I am surely an AMD fan for standard PCs for the price, but let's face it... Intel wins in this scenerio.

I'd say it's a close race.. but yes, Intel runs cooler which perhaps means better suited for this.. but I wouldn't say that AMD comes far behind..

I went with price and you get away cheaper with AMD systems.. :) and you don't need that good cooling when running stock

sirtoby said:

I went with price and you get away cheaper with AMD systems.. :) and you don't need that good cooling when running stock

That's not true with my 2400+, core temps (internal diode) are 60+C with decent cooling at full load, 35+C case temp (a tad high, but really... :rolleyes: ). That's damn hot! Volcano 7+ at medium, it's cool enough to remain stable, but that isn't exactly what I could consider 'ideal'. Intel cpus generate heat, but not at that level.

Back