• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard memory limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pvc_and_frost said:
mobo memory limits me to 3 gig 266, 1 gig 333, and 512 of ddr400...can i use 1 gig of ddr400? overclocked to actually run at that speed?

Seems to me youre answering your own question. If it says 512 ddr 400, then you cant run 1 gig of ddr 400... Doesnt matter if its slower ram OCed or not. Unless of course your motherboard is lieing! :eek:

the only way to know for sure is to try it. The only actual memory limit is the I believe 4GB max imposed by 32bit CPUs. For motherboards, it's a matter of the manufacturer imposing an arbitrary limit, (Like how the i815 caps at 512MB, so you have to buy the more expensive i8xxs if you want more RAM), and one other technical thing.

Of course my brain is not functioning very well right now, and even tho I distinctly remember talking about this very subject with a guy a few days ago, I now have no idea what the other reason is. 99.5% sure it's a voltage thing, like higher speeds need more power and the power regulators for the memory conk out too soon. But I can't remember for sure. Moral- drinking impairs the memory :rolleyes:

But if that's right than you should be able to just toss sticks in and crank the speed until it becomes unstable. The worst that could happen is it crashes, or fails to boot.

Back