• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't change bground in windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

I was about to change the windows wallpaper and when I go there it's all greyed out? anyone know why it would be like that.. I can't come to think of anything?

Failing that, check to see if Active desktop is turned on - try changing the setting to OFF and see what happens.

Windoze loses track like that sometimes, especially when you've always used file formats other than .bmp.
I always convert my background images to .bmp files from whatever they started as, using either ACDSee or PaintShop Pro. That allows me to keep active desktop turned off (I count every last resource ;) ).

If you use a .bmp file, and later choose to use a .jpg, then when booting, you'll see the origional .bmp for a second, until active desktop draws the .jpg overtop of it. Active desktop, I believe, is an overlay (like video capture cards use for display), and takes a second for the .dll's to finish loading to complete the task.
If you choose a .bmp again, the bug apears to go away.

That help?

I've always used .bmp and active desktop disabled, but now all of a sudden when I want to change the image it's all greyed out..

I guess I'll have to try and see what happens with some different options..

If that doesn't work.. I'll try the kicking.. :D

Back