• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im new here and need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaytalera

im new to overclocking an di cant find a way to over clock my AMD Duron proccessoer. I practictcaly read every thing in the begginers guides and experiences but nothing on Durons. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Raise the FSB speed in the BIOS, just remember not to set it too high or else your HD might corrupt. Of course, it depends on what board you have.

You can't change the multiplier on a Duron without unlocking it.

Ok...what board, ram, etc...

I would try upping the FSB to 166 first and see if that helps at all. I don't know much about Durons, since I'm a youngin' so if 166 is wrong anyone can correct me freely. :)

HEY WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :D

back to topic, your duron will probably not reach 166 since it's default FSB is 100 so it would be a big step forward without adjusting the multiplier (but first you have to unlock it) :D. Let's start out with what kind of motherboard you have, the RAMs, and anything you can tell us about your system. :D

See there, so you may want to try a fsb of like 120-133...see if that helps. Or since its a duron board, dont you have to use dip switches? I guess your only fsb option may be 133.

altec said:
Ok...what board, ram, etc...

I would try upping the FSB to 166 first and see if that helps at all. I don't know much about Durons, since I'm a youngin' so if 166 is wrong anyone can correct me freely. :)
Well that is my job isn't it :D

166fsb should work fine as long as the rest of your system is up to par, but you will need to lower your multiplier first ;)

If you can't change your multiplier, just keep bumping the FSB up about 5Mhz at a time until it no longer boots successfully. Or unlock your CPU ;) also give it more voltage, i would start off easy with 1.8v on the CPU and 2.8v on the RAM. You can try more later, as long as your temps are in line.

CrashOveride said:
um.. durons run at 100 or 133... i dont think any run at 166.

Sure they can if you overclock them.

If your system is up to the task, about 99.9% chance that a 1Ghz Duron will run fine at 6x166 (996Mhz) or 5x200 (1000Mhz).

yes but not probably not at 1245 (from 750)... which is what he would get if it was 100mhz and MAYBE at 1000 but not for sure, he never said he had unlocked his proc or anything fo the sort... so suggesting he go up to 166 straight up is not too smart... thats a big OC for a proc like that...

Yeah, I just made a mistake. I thought that the Duron's started at 133 like the Athlons, not 100, but I was wrong sorry. I think that most people only take their Duron's to 133 since it has such low potential, unless you unlock it of course. If you go that route you may be able to lower the multiplier drastically and pump the FSB to lik 140-150

use a soft ish sharp pencil to conect the L1 bridges (on the cpu carrier) there are pits on the new xp chips but not on the duron all u need is a steady hand and a magnifing glass.
it will look like this at the moment
L1 . : : : : it should look like this L1 . | | | |

hers a mod thats very permient
http://www.overclockers.com/tips475/
u could use the pencil instead of the conductive paint its just not perminent.
hears a real pic of the chip and the bridges.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips402/

Last edited:
for a duron you simply connect the 4 bridges like i nteh second one.. use a pencil!!! it way easier, some pencils dont work (use a #2 like they make you on CSAP's if you are in school, if it doesnt work try a diff pencil- you cna just erase it:D)

First off could you tell us a little bit about your system such as

1) what motherboard (mobo) do you have ?
2) what memory you have ?
3) what power PSU ?
4) what heatsink / fan (HSF) you have ?

Overclocking is not a known quantity and not all parts are created equal and as such nobody can tell you what to do to you system, you need to learn the techniques and attempt these things for yourself.. and ask specific questions... the more information you provide the more help you will obtain.

The Durons started out on a 100 mhz FSB, for example the 800 mhz Duron would have a system multiplier of 8 which was multiplied by the FSB 100 mhz to give 8 x 100 = 800 mhz.. The most common thing that people do is increase the FSB to 133 mhz as this does not require unlocking the processor, however if you are also running low quality memory rated at 100 mhz SDRAM this will probably flake out and become unstable.. not all mobo chipsets can reach high bus speeds either the Via KT133 generally flakes out around 115 mhz FSB.
As you increase the speed of the FSB and Processor the system requires more power (voltages are ajusted through the bios in most cases) which is why the PSU power rating can be important.. As you run more power this in turn produces more heat which means that the quality of your Heatsink / Fan is very important and you generally need to think about case cooling.

As stated previously please tell us more about your system, as much as you can.
Other great advice is read your motherboard manual and the beginners articles on the front of Overclockers.com

As a matter of Interest the Durons overclock quite well, I myself used to run a 800 mhz Duron which eventually got to 1100 mhz and a Overclockers.com senior member called Bender got a Duron 600 mhz all the way to 1200 mhz

ditto,
it really does help if you list what your specs are, like what motherboard for a start. :)
you should be able to overclock a little, either by your bios in your motherboard, or by hard locking your chip by cutting/joining bridges.

Back