• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C Celeron P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finken

The new 800-MHz FSB has brought a problem for overclocking.
The multiplier is lower, so for every MHz increase in FSB you get less increase in core clock compared to the 533 or 400.

Also 800 is rather high, so cranking out 50% may not be as easy as with 400 :)

Anyway.. something that could be cool would be to get a MB capable of 800 and a CPU with 400 or 533 and run it @ 800.

A 1.8 (400) or a 2.4 (533) would bouth become a 3.6 (800). Ofcause you would need extreme cooling for that, but with a prometia/vapochill or extreme peltiercooling it should be possible.

Now I thought maybe it would be even easier with a Celeron as it runs colder thanks to less transistors (less cache).
But there are 2 problems.

First of all, the lowest multiplier of a 0.13 Celeron is 20x as a 17x or 18x are 0.18 (willamette). That means that youd would be running 4gig.

The other problem is that I don't know if the Celeron get's the new cores like the P4.
Do the Celerons get the updated cores like C1 and the new SL6-something ?

If not then you would probably be better off with a P4 as the newest ones can go really high!

Please let me hear your thoughts!

i know that the p4c800 has 533 support, and prolly 400 support, you will just have to clock the mem down. as for the celeron, dont get it. they are murdered as far as L2 cache, 128, as opposed to the 512 of the northwoods. most of the 800 boards should have 533 support, your mem will just have to run slower, but its dual channel, so with 2 sticks, you will be getting better mem bandwidth.;)

AZN had a celeron up to 3ghz range but it scored really badly. not even close to a p4 at much slower speeds.

Yeah.. I know :(

Couldn't Intel at least just have cut the L2 in half again (256 to the 512 of the NW like 128 to the 256 of the Willamette)?

It would have been cheaper, lower performing, and still been within acceptable performance...

Anyway, I'm just speculating :)
I wouldn't buy a Celeron for the performance! :) But it would be cool with a 4gig Celeron anyway :)

yeah, btw!
So we can conclude that a 400/533 Northwood with a low multiplier could be run on a 800-MB?

Finken said:
Yeah.. I know :(

Couldn't Intel at least just have cut the L2 in half again (256 to the 512 of the NW like 128 to the 256 of the Willamette)?

It would have been cheaper, lower performing, and still been within acceptable performance...

Anyway, I'm just speculating :)
I wouldn't buy a Celeron for the performance! :) But it would be cool with a 4gig Celeron anyway :)

yeah, btw!
So we can conclude that a 400/533 Northwood with a low multiplier could be run on a 800-MB?
they did, they doubled it for the northwoods, and the oc'ing got better. the celeron is a inexpensive chip, and thats exactly why, 128 L2 cache.:( 2 gig celly oc like a mofo, but was still a dogg.:(

The 533 P-4's are supported on the Canterwood/Springdale chipsets. I've seen some of these mobos say they don't support the 400 CPUs, but if you have a 1.8A that will do at least 133 FSB, then I'm 99% sure it'll work too.

Back