• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danomite664

There isnt really a "troubleshooting" area so i decided to put this here. Every once in a while my computer will decide to freeze/restart on me. What happens is i will leave to go to work or somewhere and i will be gone for like 4-5 hours. I turn off my monitor and when i get back, I go to turn it on but all i get is a black screen. I cant get it to go back to windows no matter what i do, so i usually just restart it. The really weird thing though is that when i press the "windows" key on my keyboard, it restarts automatically (like what happens when you just press the reset button). Does anyone know why this would happen?

check your power options ...
you might have your HDD set to power off after a set time...
if so set it to "never" ...
check it on your BIOS too ...

yeah, i did have it set to power off after 3 hours, and its always when im gone at least that long that it does it. I left last night for about 8, and it hadnt frozen when i got back, but there was another problem. The time was about 45 minutes behind the actual time. Also, my computer was going really slow, freezing for like half a second and it would happen every 3-4 seconds. I know the battery for the hardware clock is alrigth, because the time goes back to normal when i restart, but what do you think threw it off? I had kazaa, norton antivirus, and AIM open while i was gone, do you think it was just those doing it? I read somewhere once that software running for extended periods of tiem can throw off the clock.

not to sure about the clock prob...
i had the same thing on my P2 rig before and it was gone after a reformat ...
so it could be software issues...

try running ad-aware tehn defrag your HDD ...

danomite664 said:
The time was about 45 minutes behind the actual time. Also, my computer was going really slow, freezing for like half a second and it would happen every 3-4 seconds. I know the battery for the hardware clock is alrigth, because the time goes back to normal when i restart, but what do you think threw it off?

Well the Screen thing being black is just Power management, turn all that off and that will be fine. The Clock is your Cmos Battery slowly starting to go on you. It dosent matter if it gets the right time once you reboot, it will still slowly loose time because the battery is slowly loseing its charge. For the cost a battery I would go get a new one. As for you freezing every 1-2 Seconds We need to know what Operating System you are running, we can help you more once we know what it is.

Back