• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU or NOT? *Pic*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpenGL

Dead Athlon or NOT? *Pictures*

its either my motherboard or my cpu , i have rma both since my cpu has 1 year oem warrenty. and i rma the asus. now can this cause it for not to boot up ? or iam i just tripping out ? notice these pics are real up close , i got a cheesy camera to . i took this pic yesterday. i hope they rma it , iam not a rich person. iam going to hope for the best.

amd5.jpg

amd3.jpg

amd0.jpg

amd2.jpg

amd4.jpg

amd5.jpg

Last edited:
hmm, it looks a little chipped, but that shoulndt be the cause for it not booting up. Ive got a pally 1800 and its got chips all round the edges, bigger than the ones on yours and it still works fine. Is there a friend or anyone you can borrow a cpu off, or test yours in their board? if it doesnt boot at all, ie nothing then its deffinatly your board.

i wish i had something to test it on , but all i got is my old intel mb and cpu . ill be so happy if its my board, asus will replace it . iam just worrying about the cpu. this makes me feel alot more relaxed. also i think i might of stabbed my motherboard when i was removing my old heatsink and installing my slk800 , thats when it stopped booting, i tried reseating it on my a7n8x and still no luck , also tried it with the original heatsink and still nothing , tried removing batterys and clearing cmos and still no video or beep. but the cpu was handled with care. i cant change the past , i can only learn from my mistakes ,i learned a valuble lesson, just hope its not my cpu, cause if it is , then i will have to use this old computer even longer :\

Last edited:
I had a wicked 1.4ghz thunderbird chip, id got her into windows be4 on air cooling and with only 1.85volts @ 1900mhz. No way stable but it was quite a accomplishment.

Anyway while undergoing one of my 'experiments' i managed to chip the corner also, not alot but it never worked again.

:(

Saying that I fixed a friends computer the other month and they had a thunderbird 1.4ghz in their PC. For some reason when i looked at the chip it had loads broke of one of the longer edges and still worked!! It ran hot though, Im assuming this was because of the damage.

My point here is some peeps get lucky with chips other dont. It lucks like your chip may have gone they way of my beaut thunderbird.

Unlucky dude.

I had a duron 850Mhz and the day I got it I chiped it to hell! Worked for 6months before it stopped working! (stupid thing was it messed up jpegs! lol and when I put a different cpu in it was fine! lol!) Your going to need other parts to find out what the problem is!

hi , sadly i dont have the parts to test it , but if i rma'd that oem cpu to newegg (it has a extended warrenty for 1 year on oem cpu) will they rma ? I rmad my motherboard to asus today, and before i even mailed it , t hey told me they will replace it. the cpu has no signs of any burns in the front or back , its only 35 days old :( , in fact it still heats up but i just get no video. my question is , how would newegg handle this ? if the cpu works then fine iam happy, i just want it to work. i should of gotten a epox .:eek: thank you for your time

Last edited:
I very much doubt they would RMA it as the chip was probably caused by improper Heatsink installation on you're part. In generall chips can survive a bit of a chip they just tend to get a bit hotter as the heatsink doesnt make full cantact with the core of the chip. As to wether the chip is the source of the problem, it could be are ther any heat marks on the core? I cant tell from that pic but maybe you didnt install the heatsink properly witch caused the chip on the core and maybe fried the cpu.

no marks whatsoever on it , no coremarks, no burn marks anywhere to be seen on the cpu or on the socket on the motherboard. I was very carefull when i installed it , i even watched the movies on the amd site on how to install it properly, not that i needed to , but i wanted to be safe , i had my motherboard out of my case when i placed the heatsink properly , i wish i had a better camera to show you , how can i test out if its the cpu or board .also i remmeber seeing that on the cpu when i had recieved it and thought nothing of it. iam being honest here.

Last edited:
Well I don't think there's a real way of telling, by the pics. as some people said, small chips might cause death while some CPUs with much larger chips can still function properly. What is the CPU (its speed and stepping)? I think that even if the chip is gone, replacing it, will not cost u an arm and a leg as getting a $50 XP1700+ from newegg pretty much guarantees you speeds well over 2GHz so in worst case, its just $50...
Also one more thing, was the chip overclocked at all, ever? Although a person can't really tell, but when you O/C you void the CPU's warranty, it doesn't say that they won't replace the chip, because you can't really tell if it was OCed or not. it just depends on how honest u are

i was not oc at all when this happend , i woke up and my package arrived , i opened up my computer removed motherboard , removed cpu and cleaned the thermal grease with qtips no water , gently removed grease , placed cpu back in , put some grease on the die , installed heatsink and tried to power on and nothing , it would just sit like that , i know its not my videocard cause iam using it now. I tried all steps asus provided me and still nothing happend, no beeps , no video , removed battery cleared cmos , tried to turn on computer still nothing , i touched the heatsink and it was hot , it would just sit there.

Athlon XP Processor High-end
Core Thoroughbred-B
CPU Model 8
Manufacturing Process 130 nm
Approximate Transistor Count 37.6 million
Approximate Die Size 84 sq. mm
Performance Rating 2400+
Working frequency 2000 MHz
Package Type OPGA
Operating Voltage 1.65 V
Max Die Temperature 85° C
L1 Cache Size 128 KB
L2 Cache Size 256 KB
Multiplier 15x
FSB Frequency 266 MHz
Stepping Code AIUHB
Manufacture Year 2003
Manufacture Week 02
Production Batch E
Batch Production Number 0057

Last edited:
Yea, if dead then its a shame... I hope it lives, or that it gets replaced, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, its not that easy to chip+kill a chip, specially if you operate with care, I chiped my 1200Tbird a little bit buy unclipping the AX-7, not holding it down, and the heatsink litteraly jump a few mm in the air and landed on the core, but the chip works fine.

^i guess your right , the cpus are not that expensive , but i just hate when this sort of stuff happens , i was starting to get attached to my pc having built it and all, the stuff i had to do to get my old computer back up runnig , real pain in the ***. i thought this happens to others and not me, guess i was wrong. but if worse comes to worse , they will not rma my cpu and i will get my motherboard back frmo asus and buy a new cpu with better stepping for cheap, if this was intel id be dead by now.:p

Back