• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Power do i need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

How much power do i need for this... someone said 500+ but isn't that excessive? will a True Blue480 do? or do i need more than that? And i want to put in lights and everything and maybe oc if that matters. So i need more than just a little room to spare.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.06GHz
Radeon 9800 Pro or 9700 Pro...
Corsair RAM TWINX1024-2700LLPT (Don't need it any faster bc my processor won't utilize the extra speed)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Antec TrueBlue 480 Power Supply
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-SINXP1394 (GA-8SQ800 Ultra2)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 80GB
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Ata 133 60GB
CD-RW Drive HELP HERE (Recommendations)
DVD Drive HELP HERE (Recommendations)
Zalaman Heatsink CNPS7000-Cu
Vantec Nexus Fan Controller
Blower Fan

More power is always better and from looking at your system I would say you need it. Yes a True Blue480 would do. Remember evertime you add something it uses power no matter how little it does add up.
You never want to be drawing Max power, of course, as power supplies become less reliable when everything is drawing power.

A couple of good articles on power supplies
http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

How much power required for each Item
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/graphics/109379-2104p152-2b.jpg

When all else fails go for the 3 B's "Bigger Better Best"

Good Luck

How much room to spare would i have to add like led fans and cathode lights? Do i need a 550 PS if im going to add those lights and stuff? and doesn't oc drain alot too?

Last edited:
stan03 said:

Corsair RAM TWINX1024-2700LLPT (Don't need it any faster bc my processor won't utilize the extra speed)

Who told you this? Like I said in the other thread, faster memory will always help, especially with p4s.

Back