• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lindows Mobile PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Too Smart

I've been looking for a good laptop deal and I came across this:

http://info.lindows.com/mobilepc/mobilepc.htm

The specs are not that amazing but for $799 it is the cheapest brand new laptop you can buy and I especially like the fact that its dimensions and weight are so small. The laptop I have currently (an old Compaq Armada) is relatively big and heavy.

I just want everyone's opinions on this laptop and whether it's a good deal. It has Lindows installed and I don't have any experience with Lindows, I would probably format the hard drive and install Windows 2000, I presume there wouldn't be any problem with doing that?

whatcha gonna be using it for ? lite work ? notice that its A VIA cpu, mainly used in workprocesser "calculators :)"etc... not made for anything hardcore, and yes you'd be able to throw 2k on it :)

What's a VIA cpu? I never heard about those...

I'd use it mostly for web browsing, word processing, and Visual C++. But it would be nice if it could run some of the newer games, although that's just a want not a need and with my budget I shouldn't expect it to.

well it could do eveything ok accept the games, and im not to sure how fast the output of C++ would either : / but for everything else it'd be great :)

It's light, that's a plus, and the CPU won't get to hot or suck too much battery power (but then again it won't preform like a P4 either).

But I'd have to say that for a little bit more money, said $100-250, you could get a whole lot more machine. Dell has two models in the $750-1025 range, Compaq has them starting at $750, and Hp has the Evo line starting at $900. I'm sure all of these are heavy (7-8lbs) because it costs more to get lighter, but most of them will give you the option of getting a high end celeron or low/medium range P4, with the rest of the specs being similar.

I wouldn't buy it if it was my money, but then again I'm pretty stingy and would wait till I amassed a couple of thousand in order to get a high end laptop.

On a side note, reformatting the HD and installign Win2K is kind of funny, since Lindows is a Linux variant and the whole purpose of Lindows was to offer a non-MS laptop.

hmmm.. for around that price i'd think you would be better off lookin for a high end P3 i bought my p3 1.13 ghz for 800 and that was at best buy so if i was you i'd keep your eye open for good deals cuz i think that would be better for what you want then the notebook with a via processor.. just a thought

Yeah for about 300 more I can get a very decent laptop. However I am really attracted this laptop's low weight and dimensions. Usually slim laptops are expensive.

Back