• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power & Reset Switches...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Purds

can anyone tell me the specs on the power and reset switches in a case? are they just a standard 12V switch or are they something special?

I am looking to re-design my front panel and wanted to use some 12V automotive momentary buttons but dont want to put my computer at any risk if these arent what I need...

thanx for any input...

i think just any simple momentary switch will work... i dont think you can mess it up like that... unless you got a switch that can take hardly any current... but i dont even think you could find one of those... just a bout any should do it (just make sure its momentary):D

the switches I want to use I believe are 12V and 3A or 5A, so I dont think I will ever over power them...

so you guys are sure that they should work...with no risk???

Big Purds said:
so you guys are sure that they should work...with no risk???

Any switch will work as long as it's a Nomally-open momentary one. The power and reset switches are creating a circuit for a meager 1.5V
I've used many many different switches, and sometimes even a screwdriver to turn machines on or off.

lol...I want to avoid the screwdriver for now...I am building an MDF case (for noise reduction) and am only using the skeleton of a case...I ripped the face off and have the ugly stock switches just hanging out of one of the floppy bays...

A switch is just a switch, i.e. just wires with a gap or no gap....open or closed.
The switches from the front panel are very low current, so basically any switch will work.

Back