Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

motherboard troubles

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 03:08 PM Thread Starter   #1
TheNamelessOne

Unhappy motherboard troubles

Here's my story. After putting my new rig together (soltek sl-75frn2-L, 1700+ Tbred B, 512mb of corsair xms 3200, 350w antec psu, 60gb 2mb maxtor, slk-800 that I got from my other computer) I put everything together and it worked just beautifully. Well I decided I want better temps and it's time to try lapping the heatsink. So I did that, reapplied the thermal paste, put heatsink back on, only now NO POST! No beeps either. I switched out the mobo for an asus a7v266-e and it booted fine and i was able to get in the bios, so I'm pretty sure it's my mobo. Now here's something weird, I checked the voltages with a multimeter while the defective motherboard was in and power was on and the voltages were fluctuating like crazy, the numbers would change every second. When I checked the voltages on my asus mobo, same powersupply, the voltages were rock solid. Also the monitor keeps trying to turn on every few seconds. Does anyone have any idea on what could have happend? Do I need to RMA this board to googlegear? 30 days hasen't passed yet.

P.S. Could a damaged capacitator have caused this?
TheNamelessOne is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-25-03, 03:19 PM   #2
sangapski

im not quite sure what happened to your board but
i suggest you RMA it coz everything else work on a diff board ...
sangapski is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-25-03, 04:53 PM   #3
jeepcreep
Registered

Maybe try resetting the CMOS.
jeepcreep is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-25-03, 06:54 PM   #4
irish80122

Another option is try having it boot with the absolute minimum settings (such as a 100 fsb) and see if it works for you. Soemtimes for some reason on mine resetting CMOS doesn't do it, but doing that does. Also, maybe play around with your memory some, I have had problems there as well. Good luck!

Watercooling Pump-CPU-NB-Rez-Rad
Maze4 CPU block, Dangerden NB Waterblock, Dtek Bayrez, Dtek Pro Radiator, Hydor L30 pump

Temps: Ambient 26, System 32, CPU 41 at full load. Not bad I guess.

Top 1000 in folding finally!!!Go 32!!!
irish80122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-03, 01:12 AM   #5
fubulg6000

I'm guessing you either scrapped something when you installed your hsf. Or, if you installed the hsf while the motherboard was in place in its case, it may have bent enough to cause damage. Either way, rma the sucker.
fubulg6000 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-03, 01:32 AM Thread Starter   #6
TheNamelessOne

I did install the heatsink when the motherboard was in the case, is that a bad practice? Oh and irish how can I change the settings when I can't get into the bios. Guess it's RMA time.
TheNamelessOne is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-26-03, 02:01 AM   #7
Guero

10 Year Badge

I have changed heatsinks with the motherboard installed. Never had any trouble. Just have to be extra careful especially if you are using a screwdriver to reinstall the heatsink. Check the board to see if you accidentally bumped something.

Old 04-26-03, 11:37 AM   #8
irish80122

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNamelessOne
I did install the heatsink when the motherboard was in the case, is that a bad practice? Oh and irish how can I change the settings when I can't get into the bios. Guess it's RMA time.
Depends on the board, on mine I have to change a jumper down to the 100 mhz setting, but most boards are much easier. Try booting while holding down the insert key and see what happens, good luck!

Watercooling Pump-CPU-NB-Rez-Rad
Maze4 CPU block, Dangerden NB Waterblock, Dtek Bayrez, Dtek Pro Radiator, Hydor L30 pump

Temps: Ambient 26, System 32, CPU 41 at full load. Not bad I guess.

Top 1000 in folding finally!!!Go 32!!!
irish80122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.