• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P2P is LEGAL!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i am glad to hear about that ruling. i personally think it's no problem to have p2p programs... it is just how people use them... i suppose they could control them, but why? it's not really their job, but this isn't a debate... i am just glad that the riaa got a little slap for being retarded about how they go about this... :rolleyes: they come off as being so ignorant, it's ridiculous...

I gotta love them blaming p2p networks for their losing record sales. Lets see our sales our down... could be the POS economy... or the lack of music worth accepting as a gift much less buying... nah it must be people downloading songs from 30 years ago when music didnt suck hairy goat balls.

Woah. Its the first verdict against them, this doesn't make it legal yet. The RIAA will undoubtedly appeal it, and till that process is exhausted, nothing is settled. In addition, even if the networks are allowed to stand, the RIAA v. Verizon verdict which just got rulled the other day in favor of the RIAA again would allow the RIAA to subpeona ISPs for the identities of individuals. They could then monitor the networks, figure out who is uploading the most music, and shut them down one by one and still put a crimp in it.

Lithan said:
I gotta love them blaming p2p networks for their losing record sales. Lets see our sales our down... could be the POS economy... or the lack of music worth accepting as a gift much less buying... nah it must be people downloading songs from 30 years ago when music didnt suck hairy goat balls.

Oh come on, be reasonable here. Yeah, the down economy will factor in on things like that, but their sales have shrunk substantially. They are certainly loosing sales to it. I don't think their is any way to argue against that at all. Now, not that the RIAA is an angel or everything...

William said:
Woah. Its the first verdict against them, this doesn't make it legal yet.

It's legal, until the appeal is won by the RIAA, which I must admit will probably not be that long from now.

I've heard artists say that the money they get from records is hardly nothing. Recording studios take most of it. They only start making the big money is @ concerts and such. P2P isn't hurting the artists. It's hurting the greedy record companies.

Err... this isn't a debate so I better shut up before I make this thread into one, lol.

Anyway, I wouldn't start celebrating just yet. There's bound to be appeals on the way.

wtf, it's NOT legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PROGRAMS are legal. swapping copyrighted files is still, and ALWAYS HAS BEEN, illigal!!!!! NOTHING will change that!

p2p is great software, but it gets abused. It's great because it provides a centralized place for people to get the files they need. it's abused because poeple use it to swap copyrighted files.

They will certainly appeal. But the good news about that is they must appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. This court is considered the most liberal of all the circuit courts and has frequently supported the interests of individuals over those of corporations. Of course, that doesn't mean P2P will win, but if it does it seems unlikely they Supreme Court would pick this up... there just aren't that many constitutional rights in question here.

im glad , because i feel that p2p is a good thing

i just think there should be some more things done
(not by the p2p software engineers) to prevent pirated software

NookieN said:
They will certainly appeal. But the good news about that is they must appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. This court is considered the most liberal of all the circuit courts and has frequently supported the interests of individuals over those of corporations. Of course, that doesn't mean P2P will win, but if it does it seems unlikely they Supreme Court would pick this up... there just aren't that many constitutional rights in question here.

9th Circuit has by far the most overturned verdicts as well.

Yeah, and to reiterate, the programs are legal, downloading illegal songs and programs isn't legal at all.

Now, is it just me, or isn't dubbing songs (Or downloading, copying, etc.) considered legal as long as it is not used in a manner in which a profit is gained by the use of a non-liscenced copy?

I must be wrong because that is not being said anywhere that I have heard of.

It just seems interesting that nobody has ever been arrested for letting their friend dub a CD, or from recording crap off the radio...

DaveSauce said:
p2p is great software, but it gets abused. It's great because it provides a centralized place for people to get the files they need. it's abused because poeple use it to swap copyrighted files.

That's the fun part. "It is NOT a centralized place for people to meet and (illegaly) share files. It plays more of a role like the telephone in linking people to talk, etc.

That is the only reason they haven't already lost a suit and been thrown in jail.

Honestly, I am on both sides here. Although, I use Kazaa and used Napster when it was alive and think that the technology was an incredible breakthrough (And a good one at that when used within the constraints of the law). I still think it is kind of a childish way to sneak through the loophole to say "We play no part in any of the sharing process. We know nothing about the actions taking place." It's sort of like the parents that buys beer and it just so happens their child is having a party that night and both parents are going out. The parents aren't allowed to say "How was I to know that they would drink it?" They are still heald liable due to the whole neglagence scenario.

(From the linked article);

"According to the major record labels, file-swapping is a major contributor to declines in music sales over the past few years, a trend that has thrown the industry into disarray."

Perhaps if there was something released in the last few years that was worth buying.... :rolleyes: Perhaps, then sales wouldn't be slumping as much as they are...

EVERY industry is "off" sales paces lately, not just music. The ecomony is off, money is tighter now that it was a few years ago.

Stop pushing all of these plastic faux pop wannabe bands and singers...put some real music out, not this overproduced, overpriced garbage I hear on the (rare occasion I actually turn on the) radio these days.... :mad:

*sigh*

Mr B said:

Stop pushing all of these plastic faux pop wannabe bands and singers...put some real music out, not this overproduced, overpriced garbage I hear on the (rare occasion I actually turn on the) radio these days.... :mad:

*sigh*

It's out there, but labels aren't as easy to pick up as they were in the past. Mainly because of p2p progs.
They don't have as much money to loose anymore.

diggingforgold said:

I've heard artists say that the money they get from records is hardly nothing. Recording studios take most of it. They only start making the big money is @ concerts and such. P2P isn't hurting the artists. It's hurting the greedy record companies.

This is very true. Music artists have to make platinum(sell at least 1 miillon albums) before they see a dime of money from the companies. Concert tours and merchanidsing is practically the only profits musicians are seeing nowadays.:)

This is good news, but the reason it is good news may have
escaped some of you. The day we loose the right to communicate
with each other without Big Brother or these RIAA clowns
stepping in the middle is the day we all become slaves of
the government.

Ultimately RIAA and the MPAA are barking up the wrong tree.
They cannot win this thing at the end of the day. But like
any leaches on a gravy train they will fight to stay on it to
the very end.

Note: I support freedom of communication. I do not support
theft of Intellectual Property. I believe the only good
terrorist is a dead terrorist and pay a lot of taxes to make
sure that happens. :D

Back