• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

875 cANTERWOOD MOOS / Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Hey all, im curious, can I run my P4 2.4Ghz C1 / 533 FSB chip on it together with 400Mhz dual channel DDR? Or do I have to stay limited to 333Mhz dual channel DDR?

The Abit IC7 mobo has all kinds of memory ratios and settings, so you should be able to run most any kind of RAM. Not sure about any of the other brands.

batboy said:
The Abit IC7 mobo has all kinds of memory ratios and settings, so you should be able to run most any kind of RAM. Not sure about any of the other brands.

AWWWW YEAH! It just gets better! Come on UPS man!!!

BTW, do you guys have a link or info on how to discipher the ratios? I mean I can never really figure out at what speed my chip & mem is running at without looking at Sandra or other programs. it would be nice to have a little formula to know so I can just figure it out with out the aid of a prog. :p

The Abit IC7 has at least these memory ratios (maybe more since this is just off the top of my head):

3:2 ratio (FSB X 0.66 X 2 = DDR speed)
5:4 ratio (FSB X 0.80 X 2 = DDR speed)
1:1 ratio (FSB X 1.00 X 2 = DDR speed)
3:4 ratio (FSB X 1.33 X 2 = DDR speed)
4:5 ratio (FSB X 1.25 X 2 = DDR speed)

For example, if you are running 200 FSB and using the 1:1 ratio, then the memory speed is at 400 MHz and you need PC3200 which is rated at DDR400 RAM (or something that will overclock to DDR400). If you stay at 200 FSB using the 5:4 ratio will run the RAM at 320 MHz so your PC2700 (DDR333) will work ok at this setting. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I had made mistake in originally listing the 4:5 ratio as what should of been the 3:4 ratio. I corrected it above.

Ok, more info about available memory ratios straight from an Abit rep on the Abit forum. So it looks like not all of the ratios are available, it depends on which CPU you are using.

400 - 3:4
533 - 1:1, 4:5
800 - 1:1, 3:2, 5:4
667 - 1:1, 5:4

Last edited:
The IC7 CANNOT run DDR400 with a 533mhz part. There is NO 2:3 ratio available on the board. You can still run 3:4 ratio. But what fun is that the 845PE can do that just fine.

:(

I edited my earlier post to correct an error and to add more info that I found. RaceX is right about the IC7 having no 2:3 ratio, but 533 bus CPUs can use the 4:5 ratio according to Abit. This means using 160 FSB and the 4:5 ratio on a 533 CPU will give you DDR400.

The IC7 CANNOT run DDR400 with a 533mhz part

It probably has a 4:5 ratio, like my gigabyte. So, you can run DDR 400 if you run your 533 chip at 160FSB like I am currently doing.

But you wont have HT. The current HT 533mhz CPU is and only will be the 3.06. 23x200=4600mhz, I dont think this will happen. LOL.

I can only get 150FSB on my current cooling method on a 3.06 so a 2:3 memory ratio would make my day. DCDDR is not worth $180+ to me. And thats all I would get without updating my CPU.

Honestly I think we have been had by Intel on the 800mhz parts. This awesome memory bandwidth is not being used.

My system overclocked to 3460mhz and a 2.4 800 overclocked to 3480 have the same Sandra scores, all but the memory bandwidth. Ed's right, its megahertz that counts not memory bandwidth, I would never trade megahertz for memory bandwidth. Spoken like a man that cant afford to get a 800mhz CPU ATM. LOL. :)

RacerX27 said:
The IC7 CANNOT run DDR400 with a 533mhz part. There is NO 2:3 ratio available on the board. You can still run 3:4 ratio. But what fun is that the 845PE can do that just fine.

:(

But who wants to run your mem at ddr400 when you can crank it way past that?

krag said:

But who wants to run your mem at ddr400 when you can crank it way past that?

Please read slowly, 133mhz FSB CPU and 200mhz memory. This is not possible. Without a 2:3 ratio it cant be done. This is starting from stock settings.:)

RacerX27 said:

Please read slowly, 133mhz FSB CPU and 200mhz memory. This is not possible. Without a 2:3 ratio it cant be done. This is starting from stock settings.:)

Please speak plainly, are you refering to a stock chip & fsb? With a stock chip/fsb no ddr400? If you are, thats a givin, of course not...but who wants to run thier chip at stock? Certainly not 99% of the people who are members of a forum called "overclockers.com?";) ;)

I was hoping with the Canterwood, running 150mhzFSB to get 225mhz memory or DDR450. I see now clearly that will not happen.

RacerX27 said:
But you wont have HT. The current HT 533mhz CPU is and only will be the 3.06. 23x200=4600mhz, I dont think this will happen. LOL.

I can only get 150FSB on my current cooling method on a 3.06 so a 2:3 memory ratio would make my day. DCDDR is not worth $180+ to me. And thats all I would get without updating my CPU.

Honestly I think we have been had by Intel on the 800mhz parts. This awesome memory bandwidth is not being used.

My system overclocked to 3460mhz and a 2.4 800 overclocked to 3480 have the same Sandra scores, all but the memory bandwidth. Ed's right, its megahertz that counts not memory bandwidth, I would never trade megahertz for memory bandwidth. Spoken like a man that cant afford to get a 800mhz CPU ATM. LOL. :)

let's slow down now....

compairing a 23 multi to a 12 multi is just about as lame as it gets.
(all but the memory scores)LOL

don't you realise that your cpu is bandwith limited???

on your mobo at 150fsb you have 3/4 ratio....400 bus memory speed.
yet on a IC7 you'll have 600 memory at 1/1 ratio...no need for any higher ratio, because your now maxed out on the bus.
150fsbx4(quad pumped)=600bus

now as for Ed being right about Mhz vs. bandwith....
sandra don't mean squat to me.
show me real world benchies....
again a 3.06 vs 2.4c is just too lame.

try a 3.06 with dual and with out....then see who wins.
bandwith is everything when we are talking intel.
Ed knows it.

a 2.4c at 300fsb running with a 3/2 mem ratio will not be able to touch my new 2.4b at 185fsb running full bandwith... and Ed knows that too.

mica

again a 3.06 vs 2.4c is just too lame.

Ya the 2.4c should kick a 3.06 around at the same Mhz. I would agree that its a lame compare.

I guess you dont realize the 533mhz parts are not as bandwidth limited as you think.

Why do you think they skipped 667mhz? Because there was little to no performance gains at 667mhz.

800mhz is like running in place a whole lot of work and not getting much done. Yes there is an improvement, but not near the improvement that is sounds like it should be. Maybe the next generation of the 875 chipset will change that.

Wouldnt you think a 800mhz 2.4 overclocked to 3400+ mhz would stomp a 3.06 at the same speed. The 2.4 has an unbelievable FSB at that speed. On 90% of real world test its only 1% faster. Quack 3 is the major place it shows improvement.

What comparison would not be lame? Please share....:)

RacerX27 said:

Ya the 2.4c should kick a 3.06 around at the same Mhz. I would agree that its a lame compare.

What comparison would not be lame? Please share....:)

sorry, your incorrect.;)

the 3.06 will kick a 2.4c's butt all day long...at the same MHZ and both on a dual DDR mobo....why?

the 2.4c is bandwith limited once OCed, as I said before.

reread what I said.

mica

Back