• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O MY LORD GUYS!!!! (celebration as well as thanx to the community)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
Well, i just got done building my system (3 hours later)...

I came here about 5 months ago when i was assuming i was going to get a computer for christmas, needless to say that didnt happen. I've since got a job and everything you see in my sig i bought with my own money...enough with that.

I remember coming here the first day and reading about how if you removed the cover on the old slot PII's (my old computer) that it would be cooler, later that day i tore it apart and booted up the machine and told my friend that "man this thing is so much faster"

what i'm getting at here is that within 5 months you boys have converted a wana be into a nerd...and i'm proud of that

:cool:

I'm loving this AMD so far guys (i always thought the boards were slow, turns out it was just my PC). Anways, i will overclock this bad boy when i get some time (sunday)

and again..thank you all of you

~TQ~

Maxvla said:
congrats on the new rig :)

might i start off by saying that is the fastest damn reply i've ever seen :p

anyways, thank you...it was my first home built PC and i dont think it'll be my last.

It went very smoothly actually, just took a little longer then i thought (for that i blame antec and their 9 little pins for the front USB ports...)

These Forums are a great place, aren't they?? ;) Thanks for the post, TQ. I love reading stuff like this. One thread like this makes the hundreds of "Why do I need 100 posts for the Classifieds?" and "Where did my thread on key generators go?" worthwhile...:)

For all intents and purposes, I learned everything I know about PC's right here. A lot of those who were Seniors here when I was a "n00b" have moved on to other endeavours, but the crew we have now is still an awesome bunch. Many moons ago, I posted a very similar thread to this one... I think that's why I love seeing these so much. It's like watching myself come walking thru the door, and learning, and growing. I can "see" the sparkle in your eyes as you make discoveries and use the knowledge to further yourselves, and make your PC just a lil' better than it was yesterday (sometimes, a whole lot better...LOL).

Keep reading, keep learning, keep posting, keep helping the next guy thru the door. Pass along the knowledge you've gained here. Freely ye were given, freely give.... Even if you've answered the question a dozen times before, help the "n00b" out, with the knowledge you've amassed from these Forums...

THIS, (^^^^) is what I look for when it comes time to discuss potential Senior Members.... ;)

Cheers! Congrats on the new machine...hope ya have a ton of fun with it!

Brian

I started out here already a hardcore hardware junkie :D
But I have learned more about hardware, software and the use of both from this place than anywhere else :)

And I'll also mention all that I have learned about modding pcs too:D

Pretty satisfying building a system that rocks, ain't it?

Congrats and enjoy! Now what's your next project? ;)

rogerdugans said:

Pretty satisfying building a system that rocks, ain't it?

It is indeed, infact yesterday i was talking with a kid at school who is about to spend $1500 on a dell, i told him i could build him that PC for much less.

He started making fun of the idea of a guy building his own computer...his loss heh :D

Congrats and huge props on building-and buying-your own rig. That first boot when everything works is so sweet, isn't it?

And from the posts I've seen, you carry your weight around here, too. Thank you for the compliment, but know this forum is a better place because you are here.

BHD

Another passing note;

This thread here is a microcosm of what the entire forums were like when I joined them in Dec. 2000. This is what these boards was like, 24/7, in every corner, every post.

They can be that way again......;)

No flaming, posting of off-colour material, risque avatars, etc... Just computers. People asking how to make thiers better, and people helping them.

There's a lot of extracurricular stuff that goes on 'round here these days, due in part to how much we've grown, size-wise, as a community. Some good, some not so good.

Threads like this remind me of the days when we were much smaller, and more focused on computers exclusively. It reminds me of why I love these boards as much as I do, and why I'm still here to this day.

Major Congrats! I as well hope to have a good overclocking system online soon. My Celeron II is a nice OCer and all, but my Gigabyte GAVTX just ain't up to the task. Anyhow, Congrats again!

Mr B said:
Another passing note;

This thread here is a microcosm of what the entire forums were like when I joined them in Dec. 2000. This is what these boards was like, 24/7, in every corner, every post.

They can be that way again......;)

No flaming, posting of off-colour material, risque avatars, etc... Just computers. People asking how to make thiers better, and people helping them.

There's a lot of extracurricular stuff that goes on 'round here these days, due in part to how much we've grown, size-wise, as a community. Some good, some not so good.

Threads like this remind me of the days when we were much smaller, and more focused on computers exclusively. It reminds me of why I love these boards as much as I do, and why I'm still here to this day.

GROUP HUG!!! :D

I actually was the same way when I came here in 2001 April (i think). I knew nothing of overclocking. My computer knowledge was limited. I think my first post was asking a very stupid newbie question. My brothers 1.4GHz T-Bird (new chip back then), was only running at 100MHz. I came here and asked why the chip was only running around 1GHz instead of the 1.4GHz AMD promised.

HA! Now that I look back to it, that was a pretty stupid question. But the members here didn't treat it as stupid. They told me step by step how to do it as if they were newbies themselves, "if you know how to get into bios.... then set the fsb speed to 133. FSB x multiplier = cpu speed total". I learned the basics of overclocking there. No one blasted in and said "What are you, a dumbass?!?!?". No one subliminally laughed at me in that post.

Then I grew in my knowledge of the forums. And now 2 years later, I'm here- with a locked cpu running at stock speeds!!! LMAO! Actually I have no patience, nor a steady hand to do a successful unlock- so thats my excuse :D. And also- hot weather has caused high temps while folding, so I have to keep my FSB OC to a minimum.

Anyway- as far as the growing of the forums. I'de say that non-computer related discussion is just part of a growing community. There are a bit more people acting up lately. But I would say our growth in the past 2 years has been overall a positive one.

Anyway- thanks forums for being a great community where we can all kick back and have a good time talking about what we like- computers - in a world that sometimes looks at our hobbies as lame and geekish :D.

~JeFF

diggingforgold said:
Oh, and how disrespecful of me- timmyquest- impressive rig! Now you gotta see how high she will go!

currently got it running at 210mhzx10.5

i'd like to reach 12x200, i'm gonna play with it more tomorrow when i have time

SkaGoatMaster said:
Congrats on the new PC! I love the feeling when u hit that power button for hte first time, and it boots up, no problems... :)

The first boot was fine...although i've reinstalled windows 3 times this weekend...i think it's about time i get familier with windows ASR as i've never done it, now is the time...

well, when i started i was a noob. Sent here by someone at another message board. i dont remember when but its under my name :). I came for i dunno why, i think people were talking aobut building comoputers on this other board and i thought i wanted to see if i could do it (loved computers at the time) then i realized i oculd build my grandma a computer. after a nightmare with cheep generic parts and a refurb hdd (did i mention i was on a tough budget from my dad) i finally got the thing working stably, even if it only has 2 gigs of HDD space, its not like she will use more than a gig of it. It is now working well for here and she is slowly but surely learning how to use it. I had alot of fun with the computer as well as hard times with my dad bearing down my back. I also learned something: HP and Compaq and all the crappy OEMs can pull off cheep generic crap because they find something that works and they put the same thing togather the same way every time. For us its different, so dont take price over quality because it will be a pain in the back and most likely end up costing more anyway. Plus the system will be better.
Thanks overclockers.com

I just found this place too, after having built my computer in november. I must say that had i found this earlier, my setup would have been much more trouble free, and there would have been a place to turn to if I had problems. It also gives me a chance to discuss and find out about new things, while giving back with the limited knowledge i have. The forums are especially special to me because there not much interest in these things at my school.

YAY for the O/C forums!!! :D
and congrats on the new system hope it runs better than mine!!

Back