• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switching back-and-front on speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

ok.. so I'm probably getting another computer this summer to be a HTPC, and I'm also thinking of getting some 5.1 speakers..

Now to my question..

As my main rig will be in the same room I'd of course want to hook both computers up to the same speakers.
However, the speakers are on opposite sides of the room.. is there some setting somewhere where one can switch the front and back channels around (i.e. so I wouldn't have to move the speakers around all the time)

Usually the way 5.1's are set up, all the cables from the soundcard go into a decoded or the sub, then are sent out to the speakers from there, all you'd have to do is swap the outbound cables from the decoder/sub around for the front and back, should work a treat, you could even rig up some Kind of DPDT type switch to do it at the flick of a switch...

So I couldn't do this with the help of software somehow? I obviously knew that I could switch the cables.. :p

sirtoby said:
So I couldn't do this with the help of software somehow? I obviously knew that I could switch the cables.. :p

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Which speakers are you using? Some computer speakers, or a real reciever-based home stereo 5.1 setup?

Sounds like a job for google in any case.

Well I haven't got the speakers yet, as I'll probably pick them up in mid-may.. unless I decide to buy some more expensive and then it'll be in june..

but right now I'm kinda interested in the Logitech Z640.. since they seem to be cheap and good..

On the other hand.. I've also been interested in Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550 .. they have them on sale now and THX is never wrong.. :) although they are 3 times more expensive than the Z640s.. :p

If you buy some 5.1's that do not have a decoder, where the decoding is done by the soundcard, and 3 minijacks leave the sound card and go to the sub/volume control, I imagine there would be some software mod you could get that would let you swap which ports on the soundcard send the signal for front back and mid/sub.

I have a set of videologic zxr-500, it does not have a decoder for the 5.1, the soundcard does it. I am using the onboard sound of by motherboard cos I couldn't afford anything else atm. There is a piece of software shipped with the soundcard drivers which lets you change what type of speaker set up you are using and what each port does. eg.

2 speakers:
o-speaker out
o-Line in
o-Mic

5.1 surround
o-front
o-rear
o-mid/sub

I am sure if this can be done, there us software that could change the order of the ports....

ah, great.. that's what I figured..

and I'll probably stick with my onboard sound.. Soundstorm shouldn't be too shabby.. :)

Back