• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deus Ex problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrMarbles

I noticed that when I load DeusX on the rig in my sig (I should rap), 250+ mb of free ram disappear and page file expands some. I though DX was an old game and should run fine on machines a lot worse than mine. (Look for MrMarbles LP in the music store near you) I am running it at all the high settings, but still it takes me a few seconds just to tab in/out of the game. Is that normal?

If the game runs fine in itself then its probably just bad programming.

The age of the game doesn't determine how much resources it can use. In a big Total Annihilation(1997) game my Athlon 1800+ with 512mb of memory can still be slowed. (The recommended specs are a pentium 266 with 64mb of RAM and a poly count of 400 is considered high and only used on the really powerful units)

DX is a really poorly programmed game. It hogs RAM, and is a dog on any system - not just the low-end ones. On my earlier config with 256 megs RAM, the system would crash out of the game and onto desktop at random intervals. It was very bugging - you had to save every 5 minutes or so.

Now with 512 RAM the game runs a little better, the new vid card lets it flex all the muscle it wants, and it don't crash so often.

If you're not going to move up in hardware, I suggest you install the patch. I don't use it because it adds two undesirable things: Poison gas in the tunnels in the lower levels (first mission before the HK market) - forced to waste and idle time, and it also ensures items remain on dead bodies till you pick them up - these don't remain after the first click if you don't patch it. I like the pressure.

It also alleviates some crashes, though, and does add a few frames of speed specially in no-detail mode.

Back