• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low CPU High System with three new fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Statious

Ever since I added the new fans (traditional back and front and then top down) I have noticed a huge decrease in CPU temp but a huge increase in the systemp. Right now my CPU is running at 37C and System at 59C

I am using PCAlert4 that comes with the new MSI boards, I was about to overclock but when I saw the system temp that high I thought I would ask everyone to see if this might cause big problems.

Vitals:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
MSI K7N2G-LISR
512 DDR (PC 3200)
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

umm, most like likely the sys temp is 39, they are backwards. one way to tell is go into your bios and look under system health or something similar and it should tell you the correct temps, there is no way your sys temp could be that high they are just backwards and with a cpu at 59 degrees evryone in here would tell you not to oc it until you get better cooling.

yeah those temps are most definatly wrong. It is simply IMPOSSIBLE to cool the cpu below ambient with air cooling. Only water-cooling and more extream methods can do that (phase-change, LN2 ect).

so, your cpu is at 59c......youd better do something about that. first of all check that its install correctly. if that fails, get a better heatsink

I just rebooted and check the bios pc health page and the readings are 45C CPU 55C System

The CPU fan is running at 5413 RPM

I have to be missing something, It seems odd that the temps would be that way.

I ran sisoft sandra to get a reading and it says that the System is at 56C CPU at 54 and power/aux at 42. There has to be something wrong with this picture.

When I open the case up the temps even out the system and cpu temps hit at around 45C for both. I had to leave the case open in bios to see it happen to make sure it was accurate. any ideas?

ok im guessing that the temp probe on yours is inaccurate and that it may be pretty close the the Heatsink and that is y it says your sys is higher: its wrong, or another thing could be that the "sys" temp reading is actually coming from the power supply then that number of 59C would be correct. so it goes like this:

CPU temp=54C
PSU temp (or system as yours calls it)=59C
Motherboard(power/aux)=45C

normally the "sys" temp is your motherboard temp which would be 45C and that would be correct if you dont have any other fans in your case.
So your system temp is 45C not 59C. 59C is your psu.

If this isnt a pain, Just rebooted again I have a pic of the bios screen and it is saying system 57C and cpu 40C. I left the bios up before I took the pic for 15 mins. To make sure I placed a temp gauge in the sytem bay and it says 55c so not that far off.

To be clear before I installed all the new fans the cpu averaged 44c and the system 48c. I should have took a pic of it before I installed them but I didnt.

P1010038.JPG

Just thought of something that might explain the high system temp I have 4 western Digital HD's an 80, 80, 60, 120 and a DVD-r cd-r and dvd drive in. When I place my hand above the HD's there is considerable heat coming from them. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the heat in the system

I dont know how in hell that could be, take the fans out and try again, what do you mean in the system bay>? in the drive bays? any way i would be thinking you didnt put it on a cdrom drive or harddrive right? another thing i just thought of it could be reading your northbridge tempature too, i dunno. if it is the same after you take the fans out or stop them.you may want to rma the board if it worrys you. do you have the fans hooked up to the motherboard or the psu?

ook i didnt see your last post well, that coud be it the sensor could be near the drives and such but your fans are blowing the heat right on it and the reason the cpu stays as cool as it is cause the heat is pushed out of the system before it reaches it.
(y didnt i think of that sooner duh.) so i wouldnt worry bout your system temps since that is probably the case , they should find a better placement of the sensor i think though so this doesnt happen.

WD's tend to run fairly hot.

could you take a pic of your pc with the case open to see your placement of your drives and fans.

I ran the coolerXP prog that comes with the board and it pushed the CPU down to 39C.

When I remove the sides the CPU went up to 47 and the system cooled down to 52C

P1010001.JPG

My cable management is not yet finished so bare with me.

ok that is common sometimes the fans in the computer work better cooling the cpu with the sides on because of the pressure in the case, but the case temp will go down. now i see why your sensor says 52C, try to tidy up your case some, it dont have to be perfect just put the ide cables in between the drive rails and the right panel (the one you dont usually take off) if you can and your power cables where they wont be blocking airflow too much, it says your case temp is so high cause most likely the sensor is near the mess of ide cables. that should help and if its still high i wouldnt worry bout it looks like all the heat is coming from your drives. WD's run Hot :rolleyes: as i said before.

Like your fans.:)

Last edited:
Back