• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did Intel threaten vendors at Opteron launch???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Makes me think of barney breaking big birds legs.

Last edited:
I don't really see what the problem is. Intel co-sponsors lots of PR and advertising with the vendors that feature and support Intel products. If Intel says "Go to the Opetron launch and we won't co-sponsor your advertising anymore" that's not being heavy-handed, that's business.

NookieN said:
I don't really see what the problem is. Intel co-sponsors lots of PR and advertising with the vendors that feature and support Intel products. If Intel says "Go to the Opetron launch and we won't co-sponsor your advertising anymore" that's not being heavy-handed, that's business.

you're right, it may be buisness.........but I still feel it was dirty.....

ninthebin said:
if your gf/wife was cheating on you, who would be the dirty party? ;)

But under this logic, each vendor should only be selling products from one manufacturer ect. Not really good for competition, and that's why there's laws against monopolys. (atleast here in finland)

In a relationship with your woman, you do (usually) have monopoly, so it's a bit diferant. ;)

this is your silly western society... there are those that can have multiple wives - they still cant cheat :p

also that wouldnt be monoplistic would it, if that vendor controlled 25% or more of that market then wouldnt that be a monopoly, apart from that its just choosing to use what it wants to use...if I wanted to make GFX cards for example and I chose to only make those with ATI GPUs, none otheres, how would that be anti.-competetive or monopolistic?

Last edited:
if you decided to hop into the nvidia arena but couldnt because ATI gave you a nasty phone call........that would be "anti-competetive and monopolistic"

It's not as black & white as that.

If such a threatening phone call from ATI said you could no longer purchase and integrate ATI products, that would be anti-competetive. If ATI said you would have to pay an extra 20% for all ATI products, that would be monopolistic.

But if ATI said they would no longer co-sponsor some of your advertising or provide validation of their chips in your products, there is nothing inherently wrong with that from an anti-trust standpoint (depending on what standing contracts you have with ATI). It may not be nice, but unfortunately nice and profits don't always go hand in hand.

Back