• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC starts low

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S.0.N.Y.0.0.7

Registered
I've mention this before but I might not of explained it correctly, what it is is when I turn my pc on sometimes when it's going through the 'MEMORY TESTING' and finding the drives it goes really slow sometimes taking a 3 min or so to load xp, yet other times it will run sweet and load in 1 min, when it does the memory testing it flies through it.

M/B = Epox 8RDA+

PSU = 350 W

RAM = Corsair 512MB DDR

Drives = DVD/W + 2x CD/W

CPU = BARTON XP 3000+

Any ideas why it could be going slow plz !!!

Well 2 things

Cold Boot - Turn ur PC on in the morning when it has been switched off all night, ur computer will run tests.

Warm Boot - ur PC was already on and so u restarted, the BIOS has already done the memory testing so it skips it.

That explanation for ya?

Excelsior said:
Well 2 things

Cold Boot - Turn ur PC on in the morning when it has been switched off all night, ur computer will run tests.

Warm Boot - ur PC was already on and so u restarted, the BIOS has already done the memory testing so it skips it.

That explanation for ya?

I dunno if i read this wrong, but what i see that your saying is that it skips the memory test on a reboot(soft boot) and will do the test on a hard boot? If so then I think your wrong.
Your memory Will be tested everytime you boot, either cold or warm. The reason it checks memory is so see if every cell is ok, you can't skip the test, well you can if it's off in the Cmos settings or you hit esc to cancel it. But you shouldnt skip it anyway, you need to know if the memory is good. I don't think what you saying is what causing S.0.N.Y.0.0.7 problems.
There are a few things i would check in the Cmos settings, First I would check that my BIOS is the most up to date one.
Second i would check and see if Ram Shadowing is turned on. What this does is take a copy of you BIOS settings and saves them into Main memory. This makes thigs work faster since your main memory works faster.
Third, if your overclocking your system try and set everything back to factory settings and run it, if it's faster then it's something with the overclock. On my system in the lab i had to jump the Cmos settings on the mainboard for the same sort of problem. it clears the Cmos settings, but can help at times. Of course clearing your settings is up to you....
Try those few things and see what happens, i cant promise that anything I said will fix it, but you gotta troubleshoot and start somewhere. Post back here with results and im sure someone here will have answers.
Good Luck :cool:

make sure 'Quick POST' is turned on in BIOS. Also, make sure all your drives are either set to AUTO or specified exactly in BIOS; that can save some time.

If you have Quick POST disabled, your PC should count the RAM, etc on every cold boot, but not on warm boot (just hitting reset).

Having your PC connected to a network can also drastically lengthen startup time if you don't have it set up just right. Try yanking the network cable; see if that speeds things up.

yes, that is normal, I think I said that a few posts ago? You either have a weird mobo, or you have Quick POST disabled in BIOS. Most boards come with Quick POST set to Off by default.

Sometimes I just let it count, tho- it's not really a big time waster, and it's fun to see your PC count up all that expensive, hard-earned RAM :D

Monaco said:
yes, that is normal, I think I said that a few posts ago? You either have a weird mobo, or you have Quick POST disabled in BIOS. Most boards come with Quick POST set to Off by default.

Sometimes I just let it count, tho- it's not really a big time waster, and it's fun to see your PC count up all that expensive, hard-earned RAM :D

hee hee, yup yup. Seeing all those numbers is fun, heheh gets ever better as you get up around the 1 GB area. hehehe

Back