• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK900 vs 7000cu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

SLK900... p4 problem?

Okay, i think Ive narrowed down which method of cooling i will be getting for my p4 2.4b. I want to crack her up high, and I dont want to spend a bundle on water cooling. So here are my options:

Thermalright SLK900u w/ delta 92mm 110cfm
Thermalright SLK900u w/ (recommend a fan please)

or

Zalman 7000cu

What do you think I should get? Is the 110 cfm fan overkill?

Last edited:
Well, with the Zalman you're not going to get near the cooling performance as the SLK's. The SLK with the Delta is going to be a beast, but however you're going to have to wear earplugs if you were sitting within 6 feet of the computer...

Also a factor: Will you be overclocking?
If so, the Zalman won't properly cool an OC'd processor, IMHO (and most of everyones!).

My best case scenario (for performance as well as noise factor) would be the SLK with a TMD fan - However, you may encounter a mounting challenge (sorry, never had experience with the SLK)

if they have the same fan, the zalman will work better. plus its cheaper. id go with a zalman

Zalman looks pretty good... depending on how hard it is to change the fan.

The 7000cu is a good performing heatsink, but does have a mild fan. I'm not sure how you would go about fitting any other, due to the mounting scheme. It will not provide the cooling power of something like a SLK900 with tornado or high speed delta, but it won't make near the noise either. The SLK with a quiet fan will perform no better than the Zalman, but it does allow you to use a more powerful fan if you desire as well as making it simplicity itself to replace a worn or failed fan. The Zalman performs well at its quiet noise level, but is not as versatile as units that accomodate standard 80 and 92mm fans such as the Alpha, Thermalright, and Swiftech designs.

Gezzz.... There is no black and white, no simple answer!!! If i were to get the thermalright slk900u, how many cfm do you think is needed to cool down a p4 2.4b @ around say 3.4ghz?

ViolaDude said:
Gezzz.... There is no black and white, no simple answer!!! If i were to get the thermalright slk900u, how many cfm do you think is needed to cool down a p4 2.4b @ around say 3.4ghz?

Simplicity isn't all it's cracked up to be. The more you learn about physics, the less simple the world seems (because it isn't).

You could get adequate cooling from a SLK900 with a 92mm fan in the 45-55cfm range. You could also go with a 80mm fan in the 37-45cfm range. You need more cfm in the larger fan size because larger fans produce less static air pressure at a given air volume, an important factor for CPU heatsink applications. I personally use a 80mm 2900rpm fan rated at 37cfm, and it cools my 1.6a at 2.6GHz easily in conjunction with my AX478 heatsink. The newer and larger SLK900 is a bit more efficient, meaning the same fan would be applicable well into the 3GHz range.

Another shade of grey exists in your definition of what is "needed". If your 2.4b really has 3.4GHz in it, it will do it with a quiet fan at even 55C. Conversely if your 2.4b doesn't have 3.4GHz in it, the most hatefully loud fan in the world can't change this. Enormously powerful fans don't make a huge overclock, good chips do. It matters not whether your fan choice results in 45C or 35C, so don't overestimate your noise tolerance in order to persue an advantage that largely does not exist.

larva said:

Another shade of grey exists in your definition of what is "needed". If your 2.4b really has 3.4GHz in it, it will do it with a quiet fan at even 55C. Conversely if your 2.4b doesn't have 3.4GHz in it, the most hatefully loud fan in the world can't change this. Enormously powerful fans don't make a huge overclock, good chips do. It matters not whether your fan choice results in 45C or 35C, so don't overestimate your noise tolerance in order to persue an advantage that largely does not exist.

well said.:beer:

nothing would make a crap chip go high, with any amount of voltage.

okay, understood. However, lets say I get a good cpu. Do you think a 45-55 cfm would help cool the cpu suffeciantly to stay at high overclocks?

With a fan at 45-55cfm, would the slk900 perform the same, better, or worse then the zalman 7000 cu?

Im tring to figure out which of the two to get!

"The SLK covers the core of the AMD completely, but since Intel cpus have an IHS which is wider than the SLK base, some of it won't be covered so there will be a slight heat buildup on the IHS which can raise temps significantly if you have a oc'd P4.
I don't recommend the SLK on intel cpus for this very reason."

is this a problem? Would it be better then to get the zalman?

ViolaDude said:
"The SLK covers the core of the AMD completely, but since Intel cpus have an IHS which is wider than the SLK base, some of it won't be covered so there will be a slight heat buildup on the IHS which can raise temps significantly if you have a oc'd P4.
I don't recommend the SLK on intel cpus for this very reason."

is this a problem? Would it be better then to get the zalman?
i dont like slk 900 because this problem
many zalman users are satisfied with 7000 cu
so, go get it ;)

But is it actually a problem? I guess thermalright doesnt think so cause they include p4 clips for installation.

SLK900-U works fine for P4's. With a 50cfm or so 92mm fan, you will get performance very similar to a 39cfm 80mm fan. Either would be comprable to the Zalman, the Zalman might be a tick quieter. What the SLK offers you is versatility, you can fit as quiet a fan as you like if temps are not critical or fit a very agressive fan if need be and you can tolerate the noise. As such you have infinitely more fan options with the SLK, a nice thing as fans are not forever.

In the end either would be suitable for your application, as are the Alpha 8942, the SLK800-U, the Swiftech MCX4000 or MCX462+, or the Vantec Aeroflow. The difference in performance is not large between any of these products, so factors like cost, availablility, and fan support factor significantly in the best overall choice.

I am running 2.4b to 3.4 with cu7000 fine. Nearly silent for 1G OCed machine. Even at 1700~2000 rpm, the noise level is very quiet, and that is where I am running my machine at. Even at 2400 rpm, although the fan is audible, but not bad at all. Of couse you do get lots of perfomace(additional 3~4C).

Enjoy the silence!!!

ViolaDude said:
But is it actually a problem? I guess thermalright doesnt think so cause they include p4 clips for installation.

I think they are just lazy to change the manufacturing assembly. Of couse it matters to cover the whole IHS. I'd think the amount of heat transfer would be linealy proprotinal to the contact area between cooler and the IHS. So 50% coverage would cost you a half performance.

Alpha PAL 8942 T?

I´m also going to overclock a P4 2.4b and I think i will buy this:

ALPHA PAL 8942 T with Delta FFB0812EHE fan (5700 rpm, 80,16 CFM).

Do you think it will be Ok?
I am using the standard Intel cooler at the moment and it´s stable at 2,8 GHz with that(18*155). I hope to be able to overclock to 3.0GHz(18*166) with the new heatsink and fan.

Best regards!

Back