• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal grease induced death?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gerfey

AS3 and other thermal pastes with metal particles in them are "supposedly" bad for your processor as the particles can get into the die. I know this is probably just AMD bs, but i was wondering if anyone has had a processor die on them for no apparent reason, when AS3 was used. I'm just curious.

That's pretty much AMD finding a reason to deny honoring a warranty. There are plenty of unexplained AMD deaths, but that still doesn't point a finger at AS.

that is crap, I wonder what happend for them to announce that.... i can't belive they've enough much money from people sending broken processors back to warrent such a blatent lie.

Alot of people don't know what they are doing and put tons of as3 on thier cpu and it gets on all the contacts and stuff and can kill it. They probably didnt want to say this so they made something up saying that.

Same as the link at the top in my first post ;)

It actually sounds sort of possible, depending on the size of the silver particles. I forget who around here said that direct die cooling won't work because the water will be absorbed, isn't it even remotely possible that a particle or two of silver could get in between layer and cause havoc?

Well, since AS3 is supposed to get into the die (surface) I have to go with AMD trying to weasel out of their warranty coverage. Remember, this is the same company that will not honor a warranty if you do not use the heatsink they include with the processor,

I used AS a while ago, and put it on sloppily enough to kill my proc. There was no other explanation, as the proc ran fine with the stock thermal pad, but wouldn't post right after the AS application. But I did a very sloppy job in its application; it got all over the bridges. Death by AS3 is possible, but you have to be a very sloppy person(like me;)) to have it happen to you.

Gautam said:
But I did a very sloppy job in its application; it got all over the bridges. Death by AS3 is possible, but you have to be a very sloppy person(like me;)) to have it happen to you.

And that, my friends, is why AMD made that warranty change...

I don't think it has anything to do with getting into the core. As Gautam said he put so much on it shorted the bridges which is a big no no. It's the bridges and contacts they are worried about since silver in conductive and thermal pads are not.

Read the bottom of the link... Nevin explains the problem accurately from a business standpoint. Spoken81 is on the right track... the warranty is written so that it does not cover user error.

AMD makes their warranty to protect their business while at the same time it protects their customers from product defects, and the warranty thus adds the perception of value from the average customer. AMD cannot warranty against every problem out their for all kinds of situations, so they have a standard setup that they warranty, and nothing else... conveniently for AMD, this warranty coverage virtually eliminates user error.

If AMD warrantied chips like we would like them to and sold them at the prices we wanted them to they would already be out of business. We should be thankful they atleast haven't included IHS's. :D

i wonder about those intel heat spreaders.... i use amd... always have, always will...

i wonder if a p4 would get lower temps w/o a heat spreader....

The problem is that you only void the warranty when you use a thermal paste other than Shin Estu G 749, so that doesn't completely protect them from user error. Technically, I could buy a retail processor, scrape off the thermal pad, and apply the Shin Etsu, and my warranty would be COMPLETLY valid, even though I'm not using a pad to prevent me from crushing anything, my warranty is still valid. Which was the reason I was wondering about it in the first place. If all they really want you to do is to attach the hs they give you in the box and never touch anything, then they wouldn't allow the Shin Etsu.

The thermal pad is not going to protect you from crushing anything, if you are doing something wrong I doubt the PCM will protect you at all, but I guess it is possible it might.

I don't understand what their motivation is for allowing Shin Etsu either unless their paste has been tested and found to be of a considerably lower electrical conductance than AS3.

Back