• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, Compaq Presario 5037 Died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Before anyone says it, I know it is JUNK. But it is what my mother uses to browse the net and check email with. It is a PII 300 with 192mb of ram in it. (128+64) Its got the original 6.4gig HD from 98 still in it. It is running Windows XP Pro.

We had a power outage last night and when she tried to reboot, it just blue screens. With a strange error I have never seen.

"unmountable boot volume"

As it loads, you get the compaq logo, then the Windows XP Logo then bluescreen.

I have tried booting to safe mode with no luck, it will does the same blue screen.

I cant for the life of me remember how to get it to boot into the bios. I am going to do some checking on the net and see what I can find, but I thought I would post here first as I am sure someone on here will know the answer long before I can figure it out.

1 - Your Computer has not died

2 - This should be in the Windows OS forum.

3 - To solve this problem you need to repair the boot sector and fix the MBR aswell if needed. Or U can insert the XP CD when u first switch on ur computer, then follow the instructions until it asks if you want to repair your Windows XP. Follow the instructions that will be layed down for you. After that everything should work.

I think with Compaqs, F10 will take you to the BIOS. You may have to reinstall the OS to fix the problem, but try anything you can before that.

Thank You Excelsior and Gecedion.

I rebooted it into recovery mode, and then did some playing with the SRC trying to figure out how it all worked, I ran a chkdsk and fixmbr and it worked. The chkdisk did report errors on the drive. So I am sure the HD is on its way out.

P.S.
I would have put this thread into Windows OS but I thought it was more of a Compaq hardware issue, with Windows mixed in. LOL. I was not sure so I just put it here.

Again thanks.

Back