• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i wish i could use an apple keyboard on my computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
this is probably a little odd, but i have been trying to get used to macs because who knows when knowing about macs can be useful and i have grown awfully fond of the little usb keyboards that come with the imacs. i have read around some places and they say that you can't use these keyboards with a pc :( i just wish there was some way they could. they are really easy to use and fast to type on... i like it better than even my flat keyboard with laptop like keys and that is my favorite keyboard ever...

anybody ever use one of these mac keyboards?

You can use Apple keyboards on PCs. I've been using an Apple Pro keyboard on my main computer for years.

oh well that's fun :) i thought that i read someplace that they wouldn't work... thanks for the heads up on that one :)

The apple keyboards do not have the printscreen, pause and break buttons though.

I got a registry fix for my pro so the F13, 14 and 15 keys are now recognised as printscreen, pause and break.

Apart from that its no different from any other except its so much nicer to type with ;)

hey thats pimp... htere is a keyboard at my school that i really like its all clear and stuff... and iits not secured in anywya.. you could just put it in your backpack... its hard to resist.... anyone know of a mac store that you can buy those keyboards at?

i think the best places are online... maybe do a quick search at pricewatch or google... i used to have a nice mac keyboard bookmarked but i got rid of it when i thought that i couldn't use one...

do you have a link to a place that says how the registry change is made and where to do it to make the keys operate like the print screen, scroll lock, and pause keys?

I don't use printscreen or pause/break anyways.

I really like my apple pro keyboard. Just as a keyboard in general in terms of shape, ergonomics, etc. I hate the MS ergonomic keyboard style and those ginormous speed-racer-style-million-and-one-keys-along-the-top keyboards that most people have.

Only thing is mine is a couple years old now, and its got its fair share of dirt and grime inside, which is highly visible since it's clear, and I haven't run across a hex head that'll under the screws holding the keyboard together.

I have a Macally Slim Ice Keyboard for Macs...works great...the apple key even works as the Windows key, which is utterly useless to me, but some might find that as a bonnus...

If you put a PC keyboard on a Mac (we use Macs in parts of our office, but my boss like his ergonomic keyboard), the Windows key becomes Alt and the Alt key becomes the Apple key. Does this happen in reverse?

nightowl said:
Apart from that its no different from any other except its so much nicer to type with ;)

Ick
I find them ill-fitting because of their natural (or rather unnatural) sitting angle and tall keys.

They also don't have the windows key (duh) so many usually EASY key functions are impossible.

Captain Slug said:

Ick
I find them ill-fitting because of their natural (or rather unnatural) sitting angle and tall keys.

They also don't have the windows key (duh) so many usually EASY key functions are impossible.

the new mac keyboaards i have used have pretty natural angels and short keys... like a laptop.. thats what i like, and i dnt use the windows button:D

The apple key on my keyboard functions as the windows key but i never ever use it anyway.

I dont have a link to the reg fix I used but this is what the key contains if that makes any sense to you.
------------------------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,37,e0,64,00,\
46,00,65,00,46,e0,66,00,00,00,00,00

------------------------

As for cleaning the apple pro keyboard this link is quite valuable in that respect

Disassembly of an Apple Pro Keyboard

thanks for the reg entries. i will borrow somebody's keyboard around the dorm and see if it works for me...

I have had an imac mini keyboard for about two months now - and I absolutely love it - it will take some impressive ergonomics to convert me to any other type. The USB hub on it is very convenient (yes I know there are other kb available with this feature).

Unfortunately the reg key method is not that useful for the imac mini keyboard as there are no F13+ keys. That is, of course, unless you are prepared to sacrifice some other keys. I end up using the on screen keyboard to address the printscreen button.

CrashOveride said:
the new mac keyboaards i have used have pretty natural angels and short keys... like a laptop.. thats what i like, and i dnt use the windows button:D
I like laptop-type keyboards too, and PC ones are pretty cheap...

Windows + M (or D) = minimize all and Windows + E (Explorer) are invaluable to me.
There are others, but I can't remember them right now for some reason...

Captain Slug said:

I like laptop-type keyboards too, and PC ones are pretty cheap...

Windows + M (or D) = minimize all and Windows + E (Explorer) are invaluable to me.
There are others, but I can't remember them right now for some reason...

i forgot about the windows + m... :) that used to be my favorite key combo :) i am glad that you said something

Back