• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to make graphics cards help in DC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cV

Think, when you fold in 2d or are away, your graphics card is just sitting there doing nothing but consuming ppower and dissipating heat. Wouldn't it be neat if one could devise a program to make use of a graphics card's core logic? Think of all the plusses: A lot of memory bandiwdth between the core and GPU, much pipelining and plenty of framebuffer memory to store/cache the data.

I suppose the only limitation is that a GPU is really not a CPU, and while it could process data the data would have to be sent in some kind of packeted format and computed using the vertex shader (or pixel shader for that matter, it's more precise.) It could then be sent back across the AGP bus and interchanged between the CPU and memory.

To me it just seems that many operations in folding could be run through the vertex shader (to help with morphing computations) instead of all being done by the CPU.

I am no expert in how the code works and as such am unaware of the feasability of such a thing.

It could, however, dramatically icnrease the folding speed on many systems. And it means one less piece of silicon that's just sitting there doing nothing.

Good use for a card eh?:D

cV said:
Think, when you fold in 2d or are away, your graphics card is just sitting there doing nothing but consuming ppower and dissipating heat.

my solution is:
"if u'll don't use 3d, go with the good, old 2d graphic adapter"
or
"come on! it's only a graphic adapter, buy a cooler'n cool it dude!"

Re: Re: Program to make graphics cards help in DC?

whereismy386 said:

my solution is:
"if u'll don't use 3d, go with the good, old 2d graphic adapter"
or
"come on! it's only a graphic adapter, buy a cooler'n cool it dude!"

It doesn't matter how good the cooler is... all that heat still goes into the case.

I believe he is just asking this because most of us have powerful GPU'S that could possibly be capable of folding.

My guess is that if it were possible, then it would take a special F@H client. I don't think it would be possible to make a program to make the existing F@H client work.

Thats a really good idea, but there are a few problems:

GPU's are not programmable like CPU's. They can't do general purpose work they way a CPU can.

AGP only supports a matrix size of 4x4. I know that UD requires a much larger matrix size to be effective, and I can't immagine that folding would be any different.

AGP is like an 8 lane superhighway in one direction and a dirt road in another. Sending data to the graphics card is fast, but the other direction is pretty slow.

Hopefully future graphics setups (pci-x, HT???, etc.) will overcome some of these problems and allow the GPU to be useful, as their sheer flops/mips are pretty impressive.

FastFSB said:
Thats a really good idea, but there are a few problems:

GPU's are not programmable like CPU's. They can't do general purpose work they way a CPU can.

AGP only supports a matrix size of 4x4. I know that UD requires a much larger matrix size to be effective, and I can't immagine that folding would be any different.

AGP is like an 8 lane superhighway in one direction and a dirt road in another. Sending data to the graphics card is fast, but the other direction is pretty slow.

Hopefully future graphics setups (pci-x, HT???, etc.) will overcome some of these problems and allow the GPU to be useful, as their sheer flops/mips are pretty impressive.

1. It would be possible to use a DX9 compliant part to some tasks. Pixel Shaders are programmable to an extent (nvidia shaders were the more flexable last time I looked).

2. For many tasks (like folding and ceti) don't require a huge amount of data, that's not the problem. The problem is analysing the dataset. So AGP bandwidth isn't really an issue. Anyway once the program is loaded into the graphics cards onbaord memory AGP bandwidth becomes a completely non-issue. (64mb is common, 128 is also getting common too. That a lot of space for ceti or folding data, look at the min pc specs for those programs, Check your mem usuage whist they are running - pretty darn low for most PC's.

thingi

Back