• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who makes the BEST processor? Answer inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

Well go to www.newegg.com and look for the poll they have running! You will be suprised as to how many newegg users believe that AMD makes a better chip! I say newegg users just because the Joe sixpacks, in my opinion, probably don't surf newegg.com to find stuff for the comps. When they can go to BestBuy and pay up the butt to have it done for them.

Well there is no answer is there? I don't care what newegg says, or Joe Sixpack or Suit says. Fact is that there will never be an objective answer to who makes the best cpu.

thats becasue there are soooo many factors that make it good. price performance stability all these things have diffrent priority for diffrent people so the best CPU will be the one you like.

there is no such thing as the best processor because every factory made chip is different, there are not 2 that are identical. So there is no such thing as a BEST processor it is a matter of opinion and luck!

Why do these polls limit it just to AMD and Intel.

Processors are a niche market and there are more processors out there than just home PC CPU's that have made leaps and bounds.

VIA...why do they get left out. They used to have a reputation for building CPU's that can double as space heaters. Now their CPU's can run with just a heatsink...no fan. Great for off market use. Home theatre PC's. auto MP3/DVD players. Small package file/web servers.

What about the Carusoe processor. Decent speed, exteremly light battery use, minimal heat. Perfect for laptops.

What about RISC, ARM, and StongARM processors that are currently ruling the PDA field.

There's alot more cpus than what people argue about. Many would say an Alpha would handily crush anything Intel or AMD makes.

Speed. Low cost. Stability.

Pick any two.

Well I don't really see this as a debate. Just because Newegg has a poll doesn't make it 100%. I wouldn't try to compare processors. They all have their strong points and weak points. I've had AMD and Intel ( I can't afford an Alpha processor). They are both excellent processors. Right now I have an Intel processor but I wouldn't hesitate to get another AMD.

They didn't have cyrix in there! ridiculous!

Anyways, AMD is better in some ways. What other company let you take a mechanical pencil + processor = more expensive processor for less :santa2:

It just depends on what you want outa your cpu

More interesting than the poll at newegg is the # of AMD users that register at futuremark. I think its probably a more accurate account of performance enthusiasts than a poll would be. Granted you may not be benchmarking with your dream system but its the system you laid your hard earned cash for and thats saying something.

Motorolla 68000 The best processor ever made IMHO. easy to program, cheap, easy to integrate. It's still being used today.

It powered the apple macs, Commodore Amiga, loads of arcade machines (including Mortal Kombat :D ). It was also used in some of the early routers (68060). Today it's used in lots of embedded systems, mainly photocopiers. I think it found it's way in to the Archemedies machines as well.

The Motorolla 68000, probably the only thing still working for Motorolla!!!

Back