• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ESD and Me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RA3Skywarrior

Registered
Ive only built one system, so im pretty new, but ive managed to destroy 2 motherboards for my system, and in a seperate incident, a bunch of IC's that we used to build logic circuits in class, so im now a little concerned about ESD, it may be other things but there is no problem in having extra security i guess :D so i was wondering where does one get those foam mats which are grounded, i can find the wrist straps easily enough but the mats are very bewildering. I searched and got a lot of results but there are all of these technical terms and features i dont understand. I just need a good sized mat around 4'X2' for a low price (less than $50), that will protect my equipment. Also where do you ground the mats and strap, can you just plug into the house ground or use a cold water pipe?

Thanks in advance!

I got mine at radioshack, like 10 bux or sumthing. I just gound it to the case to equalize static electricity, but yes a wall ground will do well and im assuming a cold water pipe is find too.

this is what i have, i dont know why its so expensive now, like i said i got mine for like 10 bux. Since your saying less than $ 50 this should be nice for you anyway. Only problem its only 2'x2' but actually its big enough for me and you could put enough components for an entire computer (no case or PSU, and only 2 optical drives) on it with out being crowded.

Back