• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer summer job for teen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

title sais it all, im 15 and i want a decent computer related summer job. I know alot of the people here are my age. What ideas do you have?

Web site design would probably be your best bet,

you could try and get into a local computer shop and sell parts, but since you probably have no certs, most shops wont let you build machines,

and most Places with IT departments will be looking at College students over highschool students

what is the legal age for working in the show me state?

15 might be your limiting factor.

i'm sorry to say this but you won't be able to find one... i can't find one and i am a 19 year old computer technology major at a pretty decent school (at least in my state it's decent). you'd be lucky to get more than something like mcdonalds at 15... i don't intend to be "mean" in this, but that's how it can be, especially these days... people want experience... it's hard to give them any at 15...

ya i know what your saying. Im going to try to do my own thing and see if i can get my name in the grape vine, i know someone who did that, i dont know how far it will go tho. I might talk to some of the smaller shops around, hell they might take me, if not o well, im not really expecting to get anything. In MO you can work at 14 but there are restrictions all the way thru 18. Ill turn 16 midsummer which might help.

Your best bet is to try and find small, local businesses that need computer help. You probably won't find a regular job, but the pay is good. I do work for a couple small businesses on the side, I charge $80/hr cash, and I get maybe $100/week, on average from that.

Random jobs would be the best.

Draw up some nice business cards, put out listings in your local news papers in the free ads:
"Will fix your computer IN HOME for $xx/hr 555-1212", and
"Will teach you how to use your computer IN HOME for $xx/hr 555-1212", and
"Will build custom computers for you, your specifications!, $xx per computer 555-1212", and
"Need a personal or business webpage? I can build one for you, $xx/hr and/or $xx/page 555-1212"
etc.

If you put them in the free ads (usually "services offered under $50"), then I bet you can round up enough work to keep you busy, and money in your pocket. Flyers would be a good idea aswell.

Also see what you can dig up for webpage design, but that may be slim pickins. You can always try the tired old "send out resumes" to all local computer stores dealy, see if that turns up anything.. watch the newspapers.

Sorry to say, but I think about the best thing you'll be able to get w/o experience is a tech support or computer retail job somewhere.. some of those are easy to come by, other's aren't. Good luck.

mbentley said:
i'm sorry to say this but you won't be able to find one... i can't find one and i am a 19 year old computer technology major at a pretty decent school (at least in my state it's decent). you'd be lucky to get more than something like mcdonalds at 15... i don't intend to be "mean" in this, but that's how it can be, especially these days... people want experience... it's hard to give them any at 15...

You are just not trying hard enough, all major factories have small IT departments, you can also do a start up of your own if you know a bit about software development.

You would be amazed the number of business that are running machines from the Mid90's and could use an upgrade if a enterprising person were to show them the upgrade costs and benifits from doing so.

Also get involved with the tech department at your school. I am very involved (on the faculty/parent committee as a student representative) and I am currently helping out with some work for them. Eventually they will be implementing a student intern program, where students will earn maybe $10 an hour helping out. I'm hoping they will get this in place for the summer :)
thats how I'm hoping to get some extra cash over the summer (I'm 16 btw)

Back