• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More k7D master issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TLhead

Registered
I am interested in what you guys think...As some of you may know I recently RMA'd a k7D master to MSI....I did manage to get it with 2 2000+ unmodded MP's to run 2 prime95's for about 24 hours undervolted to 1.65V vcore. Since that time, I have not been able to run stably under 100% load for longer than 8 hrs.... Of course this is with no peripherals....only one HD, one CD, and the video card, and and Antec true-550W PSU.

Anyway, heres the question, should I RMA this again? How many chances do I give them before I give up?

This board seems to do better than the previous one I had, but exhibits the same problems.....I have noticed that the 5, 12, and 3.3V lines are all very stable while the vcore and vdimm are not very stable at all. this says to me try another voltage regulator....Oh yeah, if I put the core voltage to auto, it crashes right away with a 50% load.....I am very disappointed. I thought it was going to work there for a bit......

Dang. Sorry to hear you're having problems, again.

Did you do a fresh install, with the new board?

What are your CPU temps like? At full load?

What BIOS are you running?

What kind of memory are you using?

Can you run just one CPU stable?

Those MP's are Palomino's, right?

How much variation are you seeing in the Vcore and Vdimm? Please post numbers and I'll compare it to some of my K7D systems.

Hi again CMC.
I did a fresh install....In fact somehow in moving around the hard drive I corrupted it and ended up doing a low level format to fix it....

My temps run between 30C no load and 35C full load. I have the case open, so there's not much heat buildup.

The BIOS that was loaded on it from MSI was 1.5 and I haven't bothered it.

My memory is 512Mb pc2700 Samsung reg. ecc.

Yeah, they are a palomino core...default vcore is 1.75 I think.

Of course I don't see the fluctuations that lock everything up, but the large fluctuations I see in vcore run between .03 and .05V.

I have noticed that if I try to raise vcore that the fluctuations get more frequent.

Actually, at first I thought that the wall voltage fluctuations might be carrying over b/c of the infrequency of the crashes, so I checked the circuit in the house, but that really shouldn't be a problem as its a 20 amp breaker and the comp is all that's running on it.....I've tried most everything we talked about before.....It's very odd.

I'm using Tt volcano 7+ on both....They're a bit noisy, but seem to work well.

One should also note that they are undervolted a tenth of a volt....That always helps temps.

For what it's worth, my Vcore fluctuates from 1.36-1.58 on my dual T-breds at 1.525V. I checked the High/Low log of MBM and my system is totally stable.

*EDIT* My Vdimm fluctuates from 2.37-2.51.

Last edited:
OK....thanks for that info. Maybe I'll sse if try replacing the memory.....That's the only thing I haven't replaced yet....I just don't think it's the problem b/c any problems with it should show up in single processor mode....

I've seen weird things over the years.

One other thought... Are those cooling fans powered by the fan headers off the motherboard or from a molex connector. With voltage flucuations I'm wondering if the fans on the heat sinks aren't over driving the motherboards power delievery capibilites.

Also if possible try swapping your video card, and HD for others.

BTW my first K7D was a greenie, and I found it to be unstable, my second an L was a red mobo and its been running just great for me know. Do you have a green or red PCB?

I really don't think it's the cpu's b/c it runs fine in single CPU with either one.
I'm running all of the fans from the PSU directly none off of the mobo. It is a red PCB.
If I can find a video card to swap I might try that.....I think I'll also try the HD swap thing....It may take a bit as I'll need to back up my other HD first so I can do a clean instal.....
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

those pally's are pretty hot. i was running mid 20's at load on an amd sink.

then again i was just running 1600's undervolted by a lot at 150fsb.

Back