• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well... Umm.. Neat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I just cracked open my P2 300 box. It has been running 24/7 for the last 4 and a half months.

Guess what I found? CPU Fan wasn't plugged in. :eek: Yup. I find that neat. It was incredibly stable, incredibly quiet (now I know why), and now I know it can run fine fanless.

I am surprised. The last things I thought could be air cooled were P1's, and even high mhz-P1's you were supposed to actively cool. This Slot P2 with it's stock heatsink (and fan) was doing fine all by itself, running as a server and folding 24/7.

Neat. :cool:

ya, my 333mhz pII cely runs fanless and the 7xxmhz pIIIs at my school are fanless also (just PSU fan) Intel makes some cool procs, esp if you use large heat sinks.

This one is just the stock heatsink, it's about a half-centimeter tall.. i literally gasped with I saw it was unplugged. I thought it had siezed up, but then I saw the wire hanging there.

I've seen some computers with HUGE heatsinks, I seen one case where the case was literally connected to the heatsink, so the heat would be distributed throughout the computer's case... dunno about that idea for the components inside, but it's good for the processor.

I had a 500Mhz PIII overheat quite often because of a broken fan. Didn't like RA2:Yuri's Revenge one bit. Tried to work out why it did it and I stumbled on this forum :)

su root said:
I just cracked open my P2 300 box. It has been running 24/7 for the last 4 and a half months.

Guess what I found? CPU Fan wasn't plugged in. :eek: Yup. I find that neat. It was incredibly stable, incredibly quiet (now I know why), and now I know it can run fine fanless.

I am surprised. The last things I thought could be air cooled were P1's, and even high mhz-P1's you were supposed to actively cool. This Slot P2 with it's stock heatsink (and fan) was doing fine all by itself, running as a server and folding 24/7.

Neat. :cool:

I've got my p-2 350 @ 390mhz fanless :) its been on for the last 10 and a bit days straight :)

ya, im going to get some case fans for airflow and maybee a HSF i will change out the OEM bios and oc my second rig, ill probly get it up a bit, im getting new ram in like a week too (to hit 256)

U run my 166 fanless the only problem is the Power supply fan is a little noisy bugger, otherwise it would be perfect for using as an ftp server or something.

Older Processors were far easier to cool because their DIE sizes are larger and they aren't running as much current. From my experience the easiest CPUs to cool are

1. Via C3s (but their performance sucks)
2. Pentium II (lots of room to work with)
3. Socket 5 or older (Pentium 1s and 486s)
4. Classic Celerons (HUGE DIE size)
5. anything Socket 7

my friend has a PII at 350 mhz and it is HS-less. It runs hotter than his XP 2000+ w/ stock HSF but it has no HS and no fan blowing to it, it still has the cover on it, i told him to turn it off. The nice thing is is that soon he is going to get a nice new system (well new core at least keeping drives and sound/gfx cards) and he sais i can probly have his old CPU. It will be a clock boost and a cache boost to my rig (the main is my moms actually)

Is there any way to run power supplies fanless? I've seen a few people doing it, but I assume it would have to be older, 250-ish watt psu's. Something tells me my 410w would run a little hot..

Back