• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp wont start.....great...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

I just moved my main comp's position from one house to another. The current place it is, there is little "brown-outs" whenever something turns on (i.e. refridgerator, dryer, even my monitor!)
The first time i started it here, the lights all turned on solidly and the fans turned on..but nothing happened...no memory test noise, no beep....this got we quite worried...had to hold down power button 4 seconds....then i tried it again, and it started fine. Within 2 weeks, this has become more and more frequent, until the point now where i can't get my comp to start at all! Usually, i press the button, and the lights turn on....nothing....other times, it will partly boot up, then do that stupid thing...but the time at which it locks up while booting is completely random. Sometimes it takes like 2 seconds, sometimes windows starts and all and then it does it. I already asked about this, and someone told me that my power supply had probably burned out. No offense to him, but i want more than one opinion. I don't have a spare psu lieing around, so i can't test it that way. Any light anyone can shed...

The power supply sounds like it could very well be the problems, but check some of these first:
Is it running off of a surge protector? If you have power problems in your house this would be a good idea.
If it is try this:
1. Try a different outlet
2. Clear the CMOS (sometimes fixes the silliest things)
3. check all of the power connections
4. Check the power/reset switch connections to make sure they arent bridging when they aren't supposed to
5. Try disconnecting non-essential things that drain power
hmmmm thats all I can think of for now, i'll see if any brilliant ideas come to mind tomorrow. About the PSU, try and find a friends willing to lend you a psu for a test (because that does seem like the most likely candidate)
Good luck!

I unhooked my comp and laid it out on the table...checked all the connections...gave it a scrutinizin...checked for loose screws....vacuumed dust out.....and then hooked it back up....and its working. whatever

Back