• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unreal 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I know its old but I still like this game and play it time to time for that retro feeling, especailly mutliplayer which I never played before till the last few months.
It sorta weird that the mutliplayer feels alot like UT and UT2003, main weapons are the same.
They have improved heaps on the new versions but underneth it all is the oringal Unreal 1 core idea. Just shows how ahead of its time it was. It was even cool in software rendering. I brought my first 3D card because of this game (voodoo II 8mb), old Pentium 200mhz MMX. I use to stare at the intro castle fly by screen for ages or run it like a screen saver when I wasn't actually using my pc.
Anyways, the graphics are still cool for what it is. Heres the problem, I have a kick *** machine but the speed of the graphics suck and get jecky at times, high res is almost a no go becomes more suckful. My GF2 out does my 9700, even at 640x480. My GF2 doesn't go as fast as it should either
Does anyone know why this is so and what can do about it or is the game just to damm old to cope.

i think the game is to old m8 but i dont see why that should matter cause UT works fine with my g/f 3 and my card isnt that old

Unreal 1 bro, from mid 1998. I think you got it mixed up with Unreal Tournament 1, that came out at the end of 1999.

Have you tried OpenGL instead of D3D ? It might help.

A better option if you also have UT, would be to get the
Operation NaPali version 1.30 Mod, and the Ol'Skool Amp'd
mutator. (Might come with the Op NaPali. It is Big.)

This adds the singleplayer mission with an option for coop
also. The castle map is there.
You can play it online with UT also. There is a coop server up
24/7 running it. Wes15 coop or something I think.

I am going to go there now and shoot some Skaarj and whatnot.

cool.
unfortunatly opengl won't run with unreal 1 on my fast system. just might have to play it on my old system.

my heart started pumping when the light started going off and a monster came out... wow i still love this game and the graphics arent that bad. (for when it was made)

Have you noticed jerkyness on any other 3d games, or 3dmark? There were problems like this when the 9700 came out, make sure you have all the latest drivers. Unreal should run great on your system. My brother has a 9700 and it runs perfect in my computer, but on his system it is a bit jerky for no reason.

My cousin and I wasted about two years on this game.He played alot of dm and co-op.I just played co-op but man was it fun.We even had admin on the won.net co-op servers that was a real blast.

Cor unreal1 :)
I still got that game in my CD box.... actually, i got it with UT with totally unreal (U1, UT, RTNP mission pack for only £10!! bargain!)
But it's about the only FPS that still runs on my s***ty 566celeron laptop (bar HL) without crashing :D

EDIT: a while back i obtained Doom (original) as well. When was that thing made??? lol "quit to dos";))
The pixels are like 3"x3" :D

Doom 1 - 1992
Doom 2 - 1994

....I played it until 1998.... *hides*

Of course, my Uncle owned a local Bulletin Board Service...

...played Doom until Duke took over, then a lot of people played Quake, while I still had an S3 ViRGE and converted to the WarCraft2 plague... that game was the ****zle.. Played StarCraft simply because I could barely do Quake II on dialup. Now I still can't do 3D internet gaming because of the limitations of the S3 Savage4... *screams*

-Frank

ArBiTaL 24 said:
ahh, duke nukem....

...JEEZ i'm beginning to feel old;)

...how old are you? heh...

I'm sure not much older than I am.. I'm only 21 and I remember upgrading from an 8086 2MHz to a 286 16MHz... or something like that, back when Prodigy was actually a viable choice as far as dialup was concerned... on them blazing 2400baud modems and such...

-Frank

lol 16 actually :D:D

It just amazes me how much technology has come on in recent years...:)

hehe, we should get a Unreal CO-OP game going. can you do those over the internet? i can't remember, it's been too long.

(i bet the game would look pretty good on todays videocards. 4X AA with max details on a MX400 is probably possible :p)

I got a Unreal Tournament server running it now.

Go here: http://www.myunreal.com/BBS/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000194.html

Download the 3 DK-COOP map packs, and the Oldskool mod.
After installing the oldskool mod, you should have a Coop tab
in the UT server browser window.
My server -Loathsomes MooCow Coop, and the Wes15 should
both be listed there.

Lemme know if any problems connecting to mine.
It has only been up a few days.

Wes15 has been running 2+ years I think.....

bump.

*If any texture or music files are missing, and you get an
error, the files you need are on the Unreal 1 CD.
Or, connect to the Wes15 and it should download if it isnt
on my download redirect site.

Server still up, running NaliCastle right now....

Back