• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting rid of Kazaa ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jobauer

Hi guys,
i didn't know where to post this, hope it's the right place...

I'm having trouble with Kazaa : it slows down my comp and when i want to close it, my task manager says "program not answering". i eventually am able to close it, but it's too long, i'm tired of it.
So, i now want to get rid of Kazaa altogether, and maybe switch to KazaaLite, i've seen that people here like it much more.

But how should I do ? Kazaa doesn't appear in the "Add/remove programs list"... So, should I just erase it manually ? I dont like that very much, but is there an other solution ? What do you say?

is there an unistall.exe in the kazza folder, I had the same problem, but im sure I deleted it from the add/remove programs list.

thanks for the quick reply...

No, i can't find the unistall.exe in the kazza folder... And i confirm that, to my great surprise, kazaa doesn't appear in the add/remove list..

I think your only option is manualy delete the folder and any other coresponding files? Also search through registry for kazza and then delete any thing in there that is registered to kazza.

Thats what I do? Dont know if any one else has got any opinions.

P.S, when I had Kazza, I found was getting hacked alot? Do you have a firewall.

Try re-installing it, then un-installing it. After that don't forget to run Ad-Aware. You can get Kazaa Lite from various sites, have a look. Word on the grapevine is it's a bit better than Kazaa.

if you are planning on removing kazaa lite, i believe that it has an option (at least in the version i used) to remove all of the old kazaa registry entries. pm me if you have any questions or further concerns about getting kazaa lite as kazaa is a little edgy when it comes to the forums rules and posting a link to kazaa lite could very well be against the forum rules as well...

mbentley said:
kazaa is a little edgy when it comes to the forums rules and posting a link to kazaa lite could very well be against the forum rules as well...

The forum policy concerning KaZaA and other peer to peer file sharing applications is exceptionally straight forward. These applications do nothing illigal themselves and as such can be discussed, they also have legitimate uses.. I have at times myself downloaded certain Linux distro's from such services.. The problem is that they also allow the user to download 'copyright' material from these services which is illigal and as such obviously breaks the forum rules.

Feel free to discuss the services, but 'DO NOT' discuss the type of files available and you will not break the forum rules. If in doubt PM a senior, mod, Admin or politely PM a more experienced member for advice if no staff are available.

mbentley said:
... posting a link to kazaa lite could very well be against the forum rules as well...

I though so too so I never posted a link. Look around. Remember Sharing Copyrighted Material is wrong!!!

Edit:

And the Menace beat me to it.... Should have(lame pun) "Seen" (/lame pun) that coming :)

Last edited:
thanks a lot guys for all your answers. :D

Cjwinnit said:
Try re-installing it, then un-installing it. After that don't forget to run Ad-Aware.

Yep, that did work. thanks again.
No more kazaa, I switched to Kazaa Lite, seems to work great : problem solved :D

And don't worry ZedBias, i do have a firewall : PC-Cillin 2002, came with my mobo, haven't had any problem so far

thanks for explaining the rules reguarding the linking & discussion of p2p applications. in that case, i will post a direct download link for kazaa lite for those of you interested.

http://128.211.198.172/oc/programs/kazaalite.exe (2.53 MB)

i recommend using all of the default values for installation in the the "add-on" programs part of the install. this version has a "fix" for the participation level and will automatically search for new sources. this has been my favorite version of kazaa lite yet.

please do not link to this file from anywhere as it is on my personal web server and i don't want my bandwidth hogged. thanks.

Hang on.....

Is Kazaa Lite legal? (didn't they just illegaly alter Kazaa, Therefore Kazaa Lite = Cracked Kazaa?)

Cjwinnit said:
Hang on.....

Is Kazaa Lite legal? (didn't they just illegaly alter Kazaa, Therefore Kazaa Lite = Cracked Kazaa?)

yes kazaa lite is legal; well as legal as kazaa itself

As a side note, if Ad-Aware or mbentley's solutions did not work, you can try to remove them by rebooting into Safe Mode(Press F8 when the computer begins to boot up) and delete the folder. :)

kazaa lite is so much faster than kazaa. they do something to with their rankings. you can share a minimal files and still have a top rating and it allows for faster downloading

i would jsut delet the kazaa folder and everthign in it, run adware, then delete the kazaa registry thing for all users and then run adware again:D

Reg Cleaner is also a nice utility to have when removing programs.

1. Delete the folder
2. Run Ad-aware to get rid of spyware stuff
3. run Reg Cleaner and remove anything with the word kazaa in it.
4. install kazaa lite.

Back