• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic How-to?!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, Ive been running Mandrake 9.1 for about 24 hours now, no M$! LoL
Ive been playing around but there is so much I dont know how to do. Im tempted to just post up and ask for info on all of it, but Im sure that would get huge rather quickly, so, Where can I find a very basic how to on running/installing proggies etc within Linux?
Anyplace Ive looked so far jump you right into things that are way beyond me, so Im needing something very basic.

Links? Anything?! lol

TIA

IFMU

www.tldp.org is a great site for all kinds of tasks to do with Linux, from basic stuff to advanced It even has a few books (freely downloadable). They might look a bit dated to you, but the principles and practices therein are still mostly valid (just things like partitioning in 100MB increments and such shows its age).
If you want to do something you can´t find help with there, just try to describe your problem to google and add the words "Linux" and "Howto". Chances are you will find some help after a bit of reading.

To get started, I subscribed to Penguin Shell newsletter at Lockergnome.com. It was a new newsletter when I subscribed, and started from very basic stuff. Even now, it has a link at the bottom of every e-mail, and about half the time it's a newbie guide. I'll dig some back up if I have saved them.

EDIT:
ok, I have a few:

http://www.linuxvirgins.com/index.htm
http://www.gnome.org/learn/
http://www.linux-tutorial.info/cgi-bin/display.pl?224&0&0&0&3 (this one sounded good from the description...)

looks like I deleted many of the newsletters, sorry. But this could get you started ( i haven't checked them out though)

Last edited:
Most programs also come with documentation tell you how to install. Anyway, in mandrake you'll mainly use rpm to install new programs, so you might want to read up on how to use rpm, I can't tell you how it works since I've never used it.

rpm -Uvh *.rpm is the command line command to install a program
rpm -e * (without rpm) to remove
but using the GUI tool might be easier for starters...
as for my, rpm drove me mad and had to switch to gentoo... you'll probably figure out why after a couple weeks of using them,

klingens said:
Looks to be a lil higher then I can follow... but Ill give it some reading time to see what I can get from it.
mirko_3 said:
the 1st, bad link?!
2nd... havent really messed with the gnome yet, been using KDE 3.1
That last looks promising! Ill take some time and look through it. Bought to head off to work so not an option ATM.

Thanks everyone!

Real quick basic question here.... I am tryin to see if F@H is running in the background or not... but no clue how too tell really.... is there a way to see the CPU usage inside linux as in windows? Ive been checking around on a few programs but the only one Ive been able to find is that lm_sensors and having issues figureing out how to get it installed and working right...... wish samurize worked! lol

Thanks again

IFMU

Open up a terminal window and type top. That will show you more than you want to know about your processes. While it's running, press h for help. If you sort the processes by CPU usage, FAHsomething should be near the top.

My best friend is freshmeat.org If you go to the MD9.1 section of it, it has most of the packages youll need for dependencies. When you install an rpm package just type rpm -i (package name)

if you want to find out if you have a certain package, type:

rpm -q <package name>

I would also suggest reading up on building software from tar files and from CVS.

Christoph said:
Open up a terminal window and type top. That will show you more than you want to know about your processes. While it's running, press h for help. If you sort the processes by CPU usage, FAHsomething should be near the top.
Ok, had to get back into windows so I could get a few things done that I needed done pronto. But ran Linux for nearly 2 days!~! LoL Yea I know, but thats a standing record for me!
Ill give this a shot very soon.
funnyperson1 said:
My best friend is freshmeat.org If you go to the MD9.1 section of it, it has most of the packages youll need for dependencies. When you install an rpm package just type rpm -i (package name)
Ok, packages = programs right?
SickBoy said:
if you want to find out if you have a certain package, type:

rpm -q <package name>

I would also suggest reading up on building software from tar files and from CVS.
CVS? tar? tar is basiclly zip right? or?
Kendan said:
Go thru this whole thing: http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html

You will have a better understanding. It is very basic:D
Will give that a shot and read-through.
Thanks everyone indeed.
One thing, if yea didnt catch it.... I am by the looks of it, even below a "newb" in this, most of what some was typed doesnt make much sense.... Once I get back into linux Ill play a lil more and see what I can figure out on what some of you have typed up for me to type and see what happens...

Well been playin some and have changed a few things using M$. New hdd, had to check it out blah blah... well I swapped the info I need access too inside linux to this new drive, an changed out the old back into an ntfs, since I no longer need it if inside linux really. Now I cant seem to get it to mount the new drive... arg.... still reading and checkin what I can do, have picked up a few things off that link, very kewl link btw Kendan!
Very low level stuff there, I can actually follow most of it. lol

Yeah packages are programs. There are several different types of ways you can get programs. Either in rpm (.rpm), tar gzip (.gz), and through CVS.

The one I would suggest that you use is the rpm. Simply type in rpm -i (filename) and it will be installed if you have all the dependencies or files required by the program. If you dont as I said before get them from freshmeat.org.

The tar gzip isnt that complicated, but for me seems to have issues, and since you will be compiling the code yourself, it takes a LONG time to install.

To install a gzip type:
tar -xzvf (filename)
cd (folder with same name as file)
./configure
make
make install

with each line being a seperate console command.

with CVS the site should give you instructions. I honestly dont understand CVS, I=noob.

Heh, well dont feel bad, Im more of a newb on this than you are, half of what you said to do made no sense... lol gawd this is gonna take awhile...
Right now Im getting very frustrated at just tryin to get this blasted hdd to mount right... Im missing something, just have no clue what..... but looks like Im a lil stuck and really need to give in so I can get to bed.... should be able to get enough sleep before work still... lol
Ok well thanks and Ill work on it laters.

mounting

Give a little more info about the HDD....

Is this an NTFS drive?

Is it a second HDD that you just added to the system?

Some general info for you:

Instead of C:, D:, E: etc that windows uses, linux calls partitions by a different scheme. /dev/hda1 is partition 1 on the primary master disk. /dev/hda2 is partition 2 on the primary master disk. /dev/hdb1 would be the first partition on the primary slave disk. /dev/hdc1 would be the first partition on a 3rd disk.

/etc/fstab is the configuration file that controls which HDD's, partitions, and removeable media drives mount at boot-time.

The command to manually mount something is:
mount /dev/hdx# /mountpoint

You have to be root or superuser. /mountpoint is the name in the filesystem heirarchy where the partition will be mounted.... for instance /boot is often its own partition (usually /dev/hda1).

Last edited:
Heh ok, wow some of that made sense.... obviouslly learning a lil here...

Ok, this drive was just added in, after OS install etc. It is on a IDE Controller, not on the boards standard ide. It is in fat32, did that due to Ive heard the problems that stem from trying to read an ntfs partition.

linux

Linux doesn't have a single file for configurations (the registry) like windows does. But most important config files are kept in /etc

There are many text editors you can use to edit these files. That's the best way to get things done in linux. Although distros like mandrake will have GUI tools that do the same thing by clicking the mouse to set options.

You can look at your fstab by doing this at the command line:

su
(enter your root password)
cd /etc
more fstab

You can highlight the contents with the mouse and paste them into a post for us to see.

I have a feeling your other HDD is /dev/hdb1

So as root you could try:

cd /
mkdir drive2 (choose whatever name you want, drive2 is an example)
mount /dev/hdb1 /drive2

Try this tip I got the other day...

UnseenMenace said:

Apt-Get works in most distro's... I personally use Apt-4-RPM which is a modified apt get which works with RPM based Distros such as SuSE, Mandrake and Redhat.

I myself have not experienced dependency problems using the RPM based Apt-Get, I also use the Synaptic GUI front end without problem

Search Google for apt4rpm for lots of information and different distros.

I just use FAT32 for w2k if I multi boot with nix and other OS as I can safely write to the w2k partition if I need to.

Last edited:
IFMU said:
Real quick basic question here.... I am tryin to see if F@H is running in the background or not... but no clue how too tell really.... is there a way to see the CPU usage inside linux as in windows? Ive been checking around on a few programs but the only one Ive been able to find is that lm_sensors and having issues figureing out how to get it installed and working right...... wish samurize worked! lol

ps aux | grep FAH3Console.exe

If running native client.

Or:

ps aux | grep FAHCore_65.exe
ps aux | grep FAHCore_78.exe

To find if the core is running.

Arkaine23 said:
su
(enter your root password)
cd /etc
more fstab
This gives me this
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codep
age=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codep
age=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,cod
epage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=
0,exec 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdg1 mnt/hdg1 vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
[root@localhost etc]#

Arkaine23 said:
So as root you could try:

cd /
mkdir drive2 (choose whatever name you want, drive2 is an example)
mount /dev/hdb1 /drive2

Ok, I did this, and labeled it muzac, obvious reasons. Seems to have worked, but XMMS wont play the music thats there. going through the terminal it sees the files, XMMS sees them, if I go to the run command and type in /muzac/ it opens it up in a new window, but shows nothing.?

Back