• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Care to Give me some Schooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VegetaQ

Overclockers,

Can everyone do me a favor. I know im being a bit lazy but I don't even know where to start. I got obsessed in my stereo a bit and I neglected everything computer for a while lol. I havent been here in two months. Can some people give me a quick summary of what has changed? Memory speeds. Clock speeds. New board technologies. Chipsets and FSB speeds. video cards. Nothing super in depth. Just like what basics of the game have changed for AMD and Intel. I want to start reading up again on both of them. I just wanted to get an idea from the people who are still versed on them. Hopefully ill be able to get back in the habbit lol. Thanks everyone!

Well, heres a very short list:

Memory- RDRAM seems to be used less and less. Fast DDR has been getting dirt cheap PC3200 can be found for around $60.

Chipsets- Wouldnt know much about the intel camp, but on the AMD side, the Nforce2 is king. They will do around 210fsb. The kt400a is also competitive, but really dosent quite match up.

Clocks. Non oc= 3000+ AMD, 3.06Ghz Intel
Oc= the tbred Bs for amds are excellent overclockers, the 2.4c1 steppings for AMD. Expect 2.4ghz (or around 3000+PR) out of them.

Vid cards= ATI is now king. Radeon 9700 and now the 9800 are the fastest out there. the 9500 is a good deal. Nvida has there Gforce fx, but it is generally regaurded as an overpriced dustbuster.

Intel and AMD are still pretty neck and neck, but Intel seems poised to crush amd with canterwood vs Hammer (im sure people might disagree with that)

EDIT: I mean the c1 steppings for intel. My bad.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
VegetaQ said:
Overclockers,

Can everyone do me a favor. I know im being a bit lazy but I don't even know where to start. I got obsessed in my stereo a bit and I neglected everything computer for a while lol.
ah lazyness at its best. start clicking on the threads that u want to learn about. when u need help with your girlfriend then hollar at me ;)

nealric said:
Well, heres a very short list:

Memory- RDRAM seems to be used less and less. Fast DDR has been getting dirt cheap PC3200 can be found for around $60.

Chipsets- Wouldnt know much about the intel camp, but on the AMD side, the Nforce2 is king. They will do around 210fsb. The kt400a is also competitive, but really dosent quite match up.

Clocks. Non oc= 3000+ AMD, 3.06Ghz Intel
Oc= the tbred Bs for amds are excellent overclockers, the 2.4c1 steppings for AMD. Expect 2.4ghz (or around 3000+PR) out of them.

Vid cards= ATI is now king. Radeon 9700 and now the 9800 are the fastest out there. the 9500 is a good deal. Nvida has there Gforce fx, but it is generally regaurded as an overpriced dustbuster.

Intel and AMD are still pretty neck and neck, but Intel seems poised to crush amd with canterwood vs Hammer (im sure people might disagree with that)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks I appreciate that. Its the start I needed. Ill start browing around the homepage looking at reviews. Thanks again.

Re: Re: Anyone Care to Give me some Schooling

AZN said:

ah lazyness at its best. start clicking on the threads that u want to learn about. when u need help with your girlfriend then hollar at me ;)

I have a boyfriend so I really don't think you want to help me with that. And yes im Lazy I just wanted a general idea. I forgot about who was still ahead and so forth.

Re: Re: Re: Anyone Care to Give me some Schooling

VegetaQ said:

I have a boyfriend so I really don't think you want to help me with that. And yes im Lazy I just wanted a general idea. I forgot about who was still ahead and so forth.

haha :p you told him haha...

Back