• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trackball Explorer and a KVM Switch??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steelejaxon

Registered
Hi, I recently got a second rig set up and decided to hook up a KVM to switch back and forth. Well I use a Microsoft Trackball Explorer via USB. Now it is supposed to work as a PS/2 as well although I had never tried it before. I bought a USB to PS/2 adaptor and tried to hook this up both through my KVM switch and directly to my main rig (see sig for specs). It would not work. At all.

I use Windows XP and no matter what I tried to do the machine just won't work. I am including the site that says this thing is supposed to be PS/2 compatabile as well. What am I doing wrong?

Please don't say get a new mouse cause besides the fact that I really like it, it drives my friend absolutely crazy to use so he doesn't spend alot of time on my computer hehe.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/tbe_info.asp

any chance you could post a picture of that adapter you bought? I just bought a logitech wireless elite duo and it said to use the PS2 connections instead of the USB connections if they were available. I think your adapter may be broke, or defective.

Don't have a dig camera (yet) but I just bought the connector at a pretty reputable computer store that specializes in computer cables and connectors. I will try another connector but I had to go halfway across Phoenix to find this one (Fry's was out?). No name brand on it and it didn't come with a case so not sure who makes it. I have also included my second rig's stuff in my sig in case it helps.

Why dont you try a mouse with the adapter to the KVM switch. Or try the adapter alone on just the computer. Or try a regular PS2 mouse to the KVM switch.This way you can eliminate bad products if any. After that you can almost deduct the fact that it doesnt work well together.

I wouldnt think that it needs to be powered. It shouldnt make a difference at all.

I'm using a Trackball Explorer (with the real MS PS/2 adaptor) on that same IOsys KVM and it works just fine. You should try and find the "real" MS adaptor for your mouse. Maybe your original one is in the mouse box...

I've had some USB devices go sour on me when trying to use them in a switch. I found that powered KVM switches don't have that problem because they dont re-initialize the device when the switch is flipped. But I agree, I really think the problem is in the adapter.

Thanks my friend "borrowed" my adaptor so I will get it back and try it. I did use a regular PS/2 Mouse with the switch and was fine. I tried the adaptor by itself on both machines and neither worked. I think the adaptor is the culprit. Thanks for the help and I'll report back after I get the adaptor.

Back