• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel or AMD???!!!!! amd fanboy trouble!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

in a couple months i will be upgrading again to either an ABIT NF7-sv2.x, or the latest and greatest canterwood(what is the best now?) and a 2.4b w/ ht, this is the first time i've ever seriosly considered intel what do i do?!!

there's a 2.4Ghz P4 with HT? i thought that was exclusive to the 3.06Ghz right now.

anyway, what AMD processor would you get? if your going to keep using your XP1600 then i would upgrade the intel route, no XP1600 can overclock high enough to equal an OCed 2.4Ghz P4.

john240sx said:
there's a 2.4Ghz P4 with HT? i thought that was exclusive to the 3.06Ghz right now.

anyway, what AMD processor would you get? if your going to keep using your XP1600 then i would upgrade the intel route, no XP1600 can overclock high enough to equal an OCed 2.4Ghz P4.
and yes there are 2.4c Hyperthread p4's out now. as well as 2.66c, 2.8c, 3.0c, and the 3.06HT chip.

the C processors are the new 200fsb chips.

i say it depends on how much u want to spend and what kind of performance u would like to achive. the 2.4 with HT u are referring to is a new 800bus chip. this chip with a canterwood board would give u some serious performance.
if u are not looking to spends alot of cash then get a xp1700 DLT3C that can do about 2.3ghz air. but if u want it all then burn some $$$ on a canterwood with that chip.

JeffW said:
AMD all the way! wait for the athon 64 before deciding
rock and roll dude!
band.gif

have you seen the review of the Athlon 64 2800+?! the p4 and AXP put it to shame, at the same pr and speed! oh and they say that A64 probly won't OC, i'd be getting a barton 2500+ with amd, but i'll be getting like1.6 grand, which do you think would get better performance, axp@ 250fsb w/ nf2 or p4@300ish w/ canterwood? i think i remember seeing a nf2@200fsb holding its own against a canterwood

Last edited:
have you seen the review of the Athlon 64 2800+?! the p4 and AXP put it to shame, at the same pr and speed!

errrr same PR, but not same speed....the 2800+ claw is a 1.6 core....the XP 2800+ is 2.08, and the P4 is (obviously) 2.8......all that review proved was that the PR of the claw is waaaay off.....that, and nobody has seen the 64 bit performance of it yet. But honestly, I am starting to lose faith in the 64s.....i can't buy one until next summer (about 1 year from now) so I'll have plenty of time to decide, lol.

BACK on subject....

if you were to upgrade your AMD system right now, it would either be a 1700 tbred, 2100 tbred, or a 2500 barton.....those appear to be the best overclockers. any one of them you could probably get 2 ghz out of, provided you get a good stepping.

i'm Intel illiterate, so I can't really say anything about their chips, heh.

you're not gunna see anyactual 64bit performance till some games come out with 64bit support and i doubt any will be made until Intel rolls out a 64bit core, and by then the athlon 64 will have all the bugs out of it so im gunna wait a till then, and till dual ddrII comes out

Back