• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

i have a shuttle ak31 v3.1 mb and after installing my waterblock it wont post. there was no burning smell so its not the proc. the screen stays blank,the floppy reads and i get a long beep with 2 or 3 very short beeps. i think i may have earsed the bios chip, shuttle put a screw hole by the bios chip and my screwdriver also just touched the speaker magnet. is there a way to load new bios in or do i have to get a new biuos chip or just rma it?

If you cooked the BIOS chip, then you'll either have to send it back and get another one, or hotswap the chip and reflash on another board.

Just because there is no burning smell doesn't mean it isn't the CPU. Chips also get buggered up by chipping.
I would recommend that you first try clearing your CMOS, though. Also, check Shuttle's website to see if you can determine what error code the beeps are giving you.

you should swap out the processor with another one and see if that will help.

Also getting a replacement BIOS chip from a company shouldnt be too bad. Just tell Shuttle that you had a bad flash and you need a replacement chip sent to you. That should work and chances are youll get the newest BIOS for your computer and shipped next day for free.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look up the beepcode listing for your board. Check and see what it says. My first problem with irregular beepcodes was a video card, but the beepcode was different for different boards. Just go check it out. And, using "beep code" as a search term helps, too.

For that board the video code is :

Long, short, short, short

But I had that board and finally put a shotgun to it. I burt 5 x 1.33 procs on that board alone I have never burnt a proc until I started messing with that board. I finally got a 1.2 to run in it for about a year. I HATE THAT BOARD! but good luck!

got it going, seems that when i was sniping out the back vent hole a piece of metal got on the video card. thanks for your help guys

Back