• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copying harddrives....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warren G

I have a 80 gig maxtor 7200 rpm 2mb cache and I want to transfer everything i have, games, os, files, as exactly as i have it now so i dont have to reinstall anything onto a wd 80 gig se harddrive, just copy and switch the harddrives. what is the best way to do this? also, i have two partitions on the maxtor, do i have to partition the WD into the same size as the maxtor or will a program do it for me?

try the program that came with the drive...
i did the same thing and it will set the same partition...
im not sure if it would work between two different brands though...

Stedeman said:
Norton Ghost is the most common for this type of swap

yep, Ghost or Drive Image are made for this sort of thing. i use Drive Image, never had a problem with it and i've been using it for about a year and a half now.

The program that comes with the drive can do this. There is no need to go out and buy a program for it. Ghost and Drive Image can do it plus a lot more.

Yeah Maxtor and WD have utilities that can copy drives that are free. I like Ghost personally and I got it with a motherboard I bought. It can copy the boot sector and has many other options.

Jenova i would edit that post before the admin/mod sees that...

Now, just use the floppy what came with the WD SE...and there is intructions etc on how to use it.

actually, i got the wd se oem so no disk....thanks for the replies guys, most likely Im going to go with Norton Ghost.

you can download the WD utility at their website...
but if you already have Norton Ghost then that will do the job...

If you know Linux, you can download a floppy-based distro, boot from it and do dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb or something similar. That will copy *every* bit from the first hd to the second.
edit: Maybe Pocket Linux.

i completely agree with all of those that just said to use western digital's program. here is a direct link:
http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/dlginstall_10_0.exe

you just need 1 blank floppy disk... it will work with other drives as long as the drive you are sending information to is a western digital. i am not sure about reversing the process (wd to another brand), but i have done seagate to wd and maxtor to wd and that's worked great for me.

Back