• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any special drivers needed for a dually?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

Hey all, I finally got time to setup my tyan tiger MP mobo with dual XP 1200s.

My question is, are there any special drivers I need to install? I know with other amd boards there are the 4-in-1's.

I'm running win XP on it, but may try some other OSs also.

thanks

xp1200+s? thats an awfy low PR... ;)

As for extra SMP drivers, you shouldnt need to do much extra than you would with a single CPU system.

There are Northbridge and Southbridge drivers to install (XP has them already AFAIK) and sound drivers/net drivers if you need them.

If you are running XP Pro or 2k on the duallie rig, when you install the OS it will see both CPUs and install the necessary drivers etc.

If you are running linux, you will need to enable SMP in the kernel if you havent got SMP support already.

Have fun :D.

thanks, that's all I needed to know :)

The reason I ask, is since after getting all the windows updates, it's still very slow doing some things. For example, whenever I scroll in IE, it's very jerky and annoying. I was just wondering if there was something I was forgetting that would fix that.

Last edited:
Go to www.amd.com and download all the latest drivers, or get them from your motherboard manufacturer's website. I imagine that there are newer drivers than the ones that shipped with Win2K.

Whenever I build an AMD dually, I always download and install all the latest drivers for the motherboard.

I think my MSI CD has the most recent drivers for the AMD NB/SB but I do imagine that (since Win2K was released well over a year and a half before MP/X ever existed) updated drivers would need to be installed for Win2K. Probably not for XP though I'm not sure. I installed the drivers included on the MSI disc anyway.

You won't need any special drivers to see the two cpu's normally (with winxp, it detects it automatically), but just get the latest drivers from your motherboard maker.

Back